OT: Glass Tubibg

I have a old humming bird feeder, very nicely made of antiqued copper, fitted bottle, etc.

The glass tube has broken... the whole thing fell from its mount when a letter strap failed :-(

I'm replacing the strap with small-link chain.

I don't have access to glass bending equipment anymore.

What I need is 7mm OD glass tubing about 4" long total, with ~45° bend (from center-line) in the middle.

Any idea of a source?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Sometimes the local mall has a glass blower making glass figureines. Anything like that near you? MikeK

Reply to
amdx

Good idea! I'll look. I _was_ in a mall a year ago :-) ...Jim Thompson

I'll have you know that I have never once referred to anyone here
as being a member of the ignorant, hateful, ugly, mooching class.

I have always been kind, referring to them by their own chosen
name... Democrats   O:-)

You could have one custom-made as suggested but it won't be cheap.

Go to wherever you might buy such a feeder, buy one you consider butt-ugly but reasonably priced with the proper-sized tubing (bring appropriate measuring instrumentation), transplant the tube and discard the butt-ugly bit.

I bet it'll be cheaper than a custom piece.

You're welcome.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Glass blower at a flea market? A high school science lab?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!

A buddy in Ohio is sending it to me custom-made :-) ...Jim Thompson

I'll have you know that I have never once referred to anyone here
as being a member of the ignorant, hateful, ugly, mooching class.

I have always been kind, referring to them by their own chosen
name... Democrats   O:-)

Good deal!

You can also get it from Amazon.com & some other places online, but you'll have to bend it & cut it yourself.

I've bent glass tubing over the stove flame a looooooooong time ago. Don't remember how it went as far as whether there was much crimping at the bend. I haven't cut it to length, so I don't know how you'd do that.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

In my technician work in MIT Building 20 I got pretty good at glass work. I could probably do the bend properly now (50 years later) after a couple of tries. ...Jim Thompson

I'll have you know that I have never once referred to anyone here
as being a member of the ignorant, hateful, ugly, mooching class.

I have always been kind, referring to them by their own chosen
name... Democrats   O:-)

Use a tringle file to put a notch in one side, then wrap a rag around it and snap it on the score.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

IIRC, you can get a nice cut by scoring it all around then wrapping a wire around the tube, and then hit the wire with enough voltage from your lab suppy to make it glow red and the tube should snap right at the score.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

in

I've never seen it done that way. Just they way I described, when i was in school. After the cut, the end of the tube was smoothed in an open flame by rotating the end through the flame. If course that was over 40 years ago, in high school. :)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

wrote in

Yeah, me too. I suspect it had to do with being the simplest method using familiar and readily available tools.

Reply to
flipper

wrote in

copper,

bend

?keywords=glass+tubing?tag=googhydr-20?index=aps?hvadid=5156982431?ref=pd_sl_29lpnnpdod_b

Back then, they were lucky to have the file and bunsen burners.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

wrote in

copper,

when

bend

?keywords=glass+tubing?tag=googhydr-20?index=aps?hvadid=5156982431?ref=pd_sl_29lpnnpdod_b

LOL

I don't know about that but it seemed to me that the chem and physics teachers didn't communicate all that well with each other.

Reply to
flipper

ehsjr wrote: ...

Trivial. Make a scratch with a triangular file, and simply snap it.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Lab supply company for the tubeing, and a bunson burner to heat it. (OK, a propane torch, perhaps?)

We used to bend the stuff all the time in the lab.

Reply to
PeterD

wrote in

Also, the method appropriate for 1/8" or 1/4" tubing won't be so good for 1/2" tubing. 7mm is closer to 1/4", of course.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

PeterD:

A gas stove is enough even for stretching Coke bottles' neck.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Pet shop. (water bottle for small pets)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Coke bottles are soda glass - it softens at a lower temperature than Pyrex - borosilicate - glass, which is what is usually used for glass- blowing. Borosilicate glass has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion, and consequently less locked in stress when the worked glass cools below the softening temperature.

We were taught to anneal out any residual strain by cooling our work slowly and uniformly after we'd got it vacuum-tight. For serious work there are annealing ovens.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman