What material is LED "glass" made of?

Some kind of transparent plastic?

I'm trying to etch a pattern on LED glass and would like to determine the right chemical to dissolve the transparent material.

The LEDs are clear transparent types.

-Mike

Reply to
siliconmike

Some sort of epoxy resin. Probably best off etching it mechanically or with a laser.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Normally epoxy. The data sheet will normally say something like 'water clear UV resistant epoxy'. Damnably difficult to etch. Mechanical engraving, will be much simpler.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Most, if not all, are made of epoxy.

Mmmm... cured epoxy is quite resistant to most chemicals. A few specialized solvents exist like Dynasolve. I found the following qoute on some forum (found with "dissolve cured epoxy"):

"As already posted by the colleagues, cured epoxy does not dissolve. However, as manufacturer and user of adhesives and coatings, I used to clean my samples and remove cured epoxy with the following mixture : ether (such as methoxypropanol) / aromatic (such as xylene) / ketonic (such as acetone or MEK) Etching for some minutes at room temperature ; then remove the plasticized and softened epoxy with a spatula. It comes very easily, but it depends whether your epoxy is based is aromatic or aliphatic."

I think if the pattern you want to etch if not too detailed, making a mask and sandblasting it would be the best option.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

From the Loctite web site "Epoxy is considered a permanent adhesive. However, if you need to remove it, apply acetone or Easy-Off Oven Cleaner to the epoxy and let it sit for awhile. Eventually, the epoxy will soften and can be pried from the surface with a putty knife. Remember to test the oven cleaner on an inconspicuous area before applying over a large area"

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

It's epoxy, pretty hard to dissolve, although there was a product called "Stiranol" on the market a few years back that did a good job.

Sand-blasting or mechanical engraving may be the easiest. I had the need to make some special shaped LEDs a while ago, and a small lathe did the job with ease.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Drop LED into bottle of Diet Coke, then add Mentos!

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Thank you all for your valuable advise. I guess then Mechanical etching / sand blasting will be the best.

-Mike

Reply to
siliconmike

You could cast an addition onto the front of the LED using material with a similar index of refraction.

Hit any user to continue.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.