Bit OT, made new graticule for my old analog scope

Bit OT, made new graticule for my old analog scope Conrad 530816 Plexiglas transparent 100x200mm

jigsaw drilled holes for fixing points Made lines with a scratch pen through the protective plastic sheet. Those scratches seem to be enough, it slightly breaks the green CRT light, making it visible in front of the trace. Maybe rub some marker into it... Needs more scratches at 1/5 tick on one H and V axis.

Old graticule died as soldering station fell on it. This plexiglass is thicker...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You place your scope on the floor?

Reply to
DraconisExtinctor

Are the scratches are deep enough that the edge illumination works?

For a direction finder, I needed a polar display graticule for a rectangular CRT. I couldn't find one, so I just inserted some clear acetate film into a laser printer, and printed my own custom graticule. The film was in direct contact with the CRT face, so there were no parallax issues. I added a clear Plexiglas sheet to the sandwich to hold the acetate film in place. The black lines were difficult to photograph, but it was cheap and effective.

Your scope is sitting on the floor, and your soldering iron is hanging from the ceiling?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Sun, 06 Jan 2013 10:50:15 -0800) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

It has no edge illumination, so no problem :-)

I thought about doing it on a transparent with inkjet, I also make PCBs that way, but did not get around to it.

Table hight, scope is on the floor with screen facing upward, very easy to move it to where I need it that way. IIRC it was the old Weller transformer that dropped on it, the old graticule was really thin, and it cracked in the middle, luckily the CRT lived.

It is an old TRIO CS1562 scope, now 400$ on ebay. It is a great scope, bought it in 1979, so about 34 years, been on 8 hours a day for years...

If you have an analog scope hang on to it...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Good advice.

I have an HP 1741A storage scope (100MHz) that I seldom use but I will not part with it. There are times when my Instek GDS-2204 doesn't show me what I need to see.

Reply to
John S

Read comprehensively much? (couldn't resist)

Reply to
SoothSayer

That's my problem. I have too many old analog scopes and not enough space. This is my to-be-fixed pile: The stuff on the shelf works. The stuff on the floor mostly doesn't: There are probably 8 more scopes installed in various racks and sitting in my office. However, the scope I use mostly is my PC:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

My proof reader has the weekend off. Meanwhile, please ignore my factual, grammatical, formatting, math, spelling, and context errors.

Note: This message is guaranteed to be 100.0% free of any useful content or information.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It wasn't about that. It was about the fact that you failed (again) to note where HE said the scratches *WERE* indeed catching the light.

It wasn't a spelling jab. That is a different word than 'comprehension'. Oh... sorry... again. ;-)

Reply to
SoothSayer

On a sunny day (Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:51:32 -0800) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I see some nice things :-)

I ordered a RTL-SDR USB stick and DC-65 MHz converter from an other source than ebay today. (The ebay one I ordered in November still has not arrived, this one is local and should be here in 3 days).

So I can test my spectrum analyzer software....

There is always some interesting math involved to decode the various modulation systems from an IQ signal.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I see a huge mess. I spent my first 50 year collecting all that junk. Now I get to spend the next 50 years getting rid of it. Between purges and cleanup ordeals, I might find time to use some of the equipment.

ebay today.

and should be here

You may have some problems with delivery. The current Jan 2013 issue of QST magazine has an article featuring the RTL2832u device as an SDR receiver. I suspect the dongle supply might be a bit thin now that the word has leaked out.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

(snip)

Apart from a small Telequipment D32 portable, my only scope is a Trio CS1560 about two years older than your unit. It doesn't see the "on-all-day" hours yours does, but still goes great.

The only issue with these olde Trios is the front panel knobs. The retaining grub screws seat in the plastic knob, and eventually the plastic splits.

Reply to
who where

I frequently set my old Tek Scopes on the floor, face up. Probably due to a career mostly in field service. It won't mash the customer's stuff and it won't fall far. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

It shouldn't fall at all. I've been known to do that with scopes of this kind of form factor:

(that's a true dual-beam storage oscilloscope with flood gun and all)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:42:50 +0800) it happened who where wrote in :

Yes, but mine have not split yet, I lost some part of the sync mode selector knob, and the int-ext sync selector knob.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 06 Jan 2013 15:11:25 -0800) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Landfill? ebay?

Between

than ebay today.

and should be here

Yes, some ebay sellers say the ones with that 4000? tuner chip are no longer available.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:05:25 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

mmm, they complain a lot about my pictures of my hand drawn schematics... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Limited production, and the ability to meet calibration requirements keep them from being cheap.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What do you mean "limited production? I think the world is crying for a good $200 PC scope. There are a number of low cost scopes. The problem is they aren't engineered so well with poor user interfaces and crappy documentation.

There is a web page where people talk about building an open source scope, but it seems to be all talk and mostly about a fairly high end unit.

How exactly does "calibration requirements" impact the cost of a scope? At $200 you verify the calibration. In the unlikely event it is out of cal, you buy a new one.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

How will you know it's out of calibration without access to a cal lab?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell