OT: Food Stamps

Or lie. Especially lie.

Reply to
krw

So you're on the left?

So you're on the right?

I think you misinterpreted the word "we" as I used it. Maybe Jim misunderstood too. I just assumed that by now he'd know I vote with him, even though I wouldn't put things the same way.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

Big business might automate jobs out of existence, but that's good. It's the reason the Industrial Revolution makes people wealthy.

I'm having trouble interpreting your use of sarcasm. It seems like you think I'm a leftist after misinterpreting my sarcasm.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It's well known that sarcasm doesn't work well in print. The medium is void of physical cues and other sideband communication. You can't blame the reader for understanding what was written as it was written.

Reply to
krw

Worked fine for Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, et al.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

If that reader is you, communication is out the window anyway. Although, I must admit, you do have your insightful moments from time-to-ti me. They're just not sustainable enough to have a meaningful conversation. The moment anyone disagrees with you, particularly from the right, you sw itch to attack mode. It's a sign of insecurity.

Since this is an engineering newsgroup, let me just offer that if someone i s pushing your buttons - you installed them.

The above paragraph is not sarcasm, BTW.

Reply to
mpm

s.

ot

t's

time. They're just not sustainable enough to have a meaningful conversatio n. The moment anyone disagrees with you, particularly from the right, you switch to attack mode. It's a sign of insecurity.

is pushing your buttons - you installed them.

I meant to write "left", obviously.

Reply to
mpm

That's ridiculous, buy me $400 of food every month, and I have $400 to spend. (of course for me it would go into savings) I had a guy and his baby momma with 5 kids getting $1200 a month in foodstamps. It supplemented his meth bill.

I have been ask many times by foodstamp users, "Can I go buy some steaks for you, I need some cash for my foodstamps." I also have people want to buy my shrimp with foodstamps, $13 for a pound protein instead of $2.00 a pound.

I won't do either one. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

What is it that you do when you donate your time? If you can earn $50 and hour working, maybe your charity would rather see you work and donate your earning. Maybe they could gave someone a $10 an hour job with your money. That's a two for one, a $10 and hour job and $40 for the charity. But if it makes you feel better giving your time. OK

Reply to
amdx

Or call them a Tea bagger.

Reply to
amdx

Which is also a lie, on many levels.

Reply to
krw

Very good point. My wife can't find a job in this economy. If she doesn't find something by Spring, she'll start collecting her SS. It's not that we need the money, but she needs something to do. Daytime TV doesn't cut it.

She can't even find anyone who wants volunteers. The only places they would even talk, want her to *pay* to volunteer. Nuts with that! She's going to a Christian broadcasting company open house in a couple of weeks that is advertising for help. She'd rather do something to help others a bit more but wants something to do.

Not only does it make him feel better, it makes him feel superior. Typical lefty.

Reply to
krw

Only in the context. Note that wit and sarcasm are not the same thing.

Reply to
krw

You *are* a typical lefty. Stupid as a stone and even more proud of it.

I have insightful moments all the time; you are an idiot. That one is too obvious to be considered insightful, though.

Since this is an engineering newsgroup, why don't you STFU. You're clearly out of your league.

It's also a lie, your norm.

Reply to
krw

You're too stupid to write anything comprehensible.

Reply to
krw

That 9 cents isn't buying food, the food is donated. The 9 cents is what it costs to keep the doors open.

I'm afraid I would have a hard time volunteering at a food bank, I would like to help a lady with her children, but when I run into they guy that didn't want to clean the boat for $15 an hour getting my time and someone else's food donation, I might come unglued. Especially with this new Blood pressure medicine. I see this guy hold a swinging bench down 5 to 8 hours a day. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Dunno. I'll suss that out "once I'm on the inside" :>

Doing *any* kind of volunteer work leaves you open for that. There are LOTS of people who abuse the system, "feel entitled", etc.

But, there are lots of people who are genuinely "in need" AND grateful. Really disturbing when you see someone who can barely make ends meet *also* volunteering ("Gee, I can *afford* to give this time; how can they manage to squeeze it in?").

But, you also see able-bodied people parking in handicapped spots (I read a story that claimed much of the public parking in the financial district is taken up by "handicapped" parkers). And folks writing off donations to their children's schools.

There are people (rich and poor alike) who will never have any qualms about taking whatever they can get away with. *You*, individually, have to decide if its a worthwhile use of *your* time (personally, I wouldn't give anyone *money* -- its far too easily abused! If you look at the published overheads for many charities, you gotta wonder how they can look themselves in the mirror each morning! Even those that *appear* to be efficient often play games with their bookkeeping. United Way? Gee, they are nothing *but* a middle man... "overhead")

Help your neighbor put a new roof on their house. Shovel someone's driveway. etc. decide what represents "charity" (giving) to *you*!

Reply to
Don Y

food

hat

ce

in

ions.

o not

ces

of

It's

you

n.

to-time. They're just not sustainable enough to have a meaningful conversa tion. The moment anyone disagrees with you, particularly from the right, y ou switch to attack mode. It's a sign of insecurity.

one is pushing your buttons - you installed them.

Five syllables!! Night classes?

Reply to
mpm

Sometimes build or repair computers. Sometimes sort books. Sometimes design hardware/software systems to facilitate the operation of the organization.

I give my time because money is too easily "wasted". Watch to see how money gets spent at some of these places and ask yourself, "Did they really have to *pay* someone to do that? Couldn't a volunteer have done it *for* them?" I give you my *time* and I *see* how you use it. You won't *dare* ask me to go to your house and wash your car! Or, fix your computer. Or install an entertainment system. etc.

OTOH, I write you a check for $20K and I'll *bet* a sizable fraction of it gets spent on something not pertinent to The Mission. Of course, I won't *see* how it's spent unless I *also* put in the time!

(I.e., "staff" abuse the system just as regularly as "clients". You just don't have an opportunity to *see* their abuses!)

Reply to
Don Y

Interesting. When I couldn't find a job in my economy, and collected unemployment insurance, I was a leach.

Is krw going to divorce his wife for not being sincere enough about finding work?

Watch this space - the one between krw's ears.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to