OT: F**k Apple

The hitch is that the government is trying to force someone to do something they don't want to do and that once it's done for "this_one_phone", there will be another right behind it.

Reply to
krw

Do you not understand the issues here? The passkey may be protected by wiping the data after 10 failed tried to enter the passkey. At one time they could have done things by reading the bits from the flash chip with an electron microscope, but that would be horrendously costly compared to just getting the passkey and I think it is no longer viable with the chip feature sizes today. Besides, even the passkey is likely encrypted I expect.

How exactly do you think the passkey can be obtained without Apple's help?

--

Rick
Reply to

The big problem arises when China demands the same favour from Apple.

But the proposed hack will only work against an iPhone 5c so any self respecting criminal or terrorist will already have upgraded to a 5s or 6 thanks to all this publicity about a potential vulnerability.

The vault on the later models is separate and cannot be compromised so that even if they did permit infinite goes the crack of a 4 digit PIN would proceed at a stately 24 tries per day for 400 days. That is a sufficiently long time that the info regained would be pretty useless.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Apple already refused at least 12 other requests to crack phones in the last few months, and the New York police say they have 175 Apple device ready to go if the FBI wins the case

the only way for then not to eventually be forced to be a surveillance tool is to make it physically impossible

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The solution, which I'm sure someone in Congress will soon note, is to forbid the sale of any device for which a search warrant cannot be served. I'm sure the EU will join in as well >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Den onsdag den 24. februar 2016 kl. 19.09.18 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

I'm sure governments all over the world are wetting themselves at the dream of a backdoor to every possible device out there

and so does the hackers, so much easier when you don't have to break encryption but can instead use the backdoor that was put in

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You're a goddamned idiot.

I *DO* 'work in the private sector'.

Your stupid remark proves you know nothing about America.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Excellent point.

Cheap terrorists?

Not really. There still could be evidence incriminating others. There is no statute of limitations on murder or terrorism (or "terroristic activities", whatever they are).

Reply to
krw

That's not what I said.

As far as I'm concerned, "smart" phones should be banned for anyone younger than 30 >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Then the question is whether the memory is embedded with the processor that holds the (hard coded ? I doubt it) operating system.

If not just take the memory chip out and install it in something with a similar but modified OS that does not have the erase feature and crack it with brute force.

They could put a Man on the moon and can't do that ? you mean to tell me the government is not god ? Oh dear, what will they do when about 4 billion people want to kill them ?

Reply to
jurb6006

That means no more movies on Blu-Ray disk, for a start. Surely you don't intend all ancient art with incomprehensible glyphs, and poorly-documented formats on 8" floppies, to be so encumbered also?

Alas, someone in Congress probably WILL, as you say...

Reply to
whit3rd

They're working on exactly that:-)

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

and I think that is the real reason the govt is up Apple's a**.

The fight is not really about this one phone.

Reply to
makolber

Bullshit. NONE of them EVER had a legitimate grievance that warranted their murderous responses. Not EVER.

If that were true and we responded in kind, Iran, & North Korea would be a sea of glass right now.

Next thing you'll be telling us is that feeding a knife wielding, innocent civilian attacking Palestinian a lead breakfast without a trial is an unfair act.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You don't need to make it impossible merely glacially slow tar pit. A retry time that increases exponentially would be more than adequate.

Congress tried something like that when they were persecuting Phil Zimmerman over PGP and the result was that the congnescenti were sending each other hard encrypted material just to annoy the NSA.

There are already too many secure iPhone and Blackberries out there for any legislation to have the slightest effect. And anyway you can use third party encryption of a bog standard memory card to achieve the same ends and plenty of suitable software exists in the wild.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You do seem to be back in full AlwaysWrong mode.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I recall someone who wanted to have a bluetooth earpiece that would encrypt your voice call so it could not be monitored even with a search warrant. Would that be legal? I don't remember the rules that got Zimmerman, but I think it was about the technology getting out of the country not use inside the US.

--

Rick
Reply to