OT: F**k Apple

Not after one. Maybe after three consecutive within a specific time frame.

Only if it is online, and it is AppleTards toggling that 10 fail kill switch, you can bet your ass. So they *could* likely easily allow the FBI access by simply setting that device to NOT get wiped by the server in explicit authority access circumstances. That way, the authorities could get access to any device Apple sets their servers to not secure upon failed access counts. Problem solved. Authority merely has to endure whatever time it would take them to cycle through the up to 10k codes involved, and still keep all other devices within the current method.

I would sequester the device from logging on to a cell tower's 'server' until accessed locally. Then record that access code, allow RF access again and use aforementioned code to bring 'open' the device.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I doubt that is hard coded. I'll bet the authentication servers do that, and Apple has the capability to turn it off for any given device. That is likely how *they* get into them.

I'd bet they do not need to, and Apple's authentication servers are what perform this 'operation'.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Perhaps this is just a marketing ploy - making the request public gives the illusion that simple password protection works.

No doubt there are many options.

I doubt that this is high on the FBI's priority list - as there isn't anyone who can obviously be prosecuted.....and any nutcase is free to repeat these events.

RL

Reply to
legg

e:

ay

not impossible. The data are stored in flash. Samsung or other made the fl ash, not apple. With enough hardware probe, the flash can be copied, saved and restored. I am surprise that the NSA can't do it, or they are just to o lazy to do it.

ey can do it. Doing so does not really divulge their capabilities, just th eir deep pocket.

It's common to think a task is simple when you know absolutely nothing abou t it. Anyone would be safe in keeping their money after offering you a bill ion:

ity-threshold/

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Try taking up bingo.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

fbi can't be trusted to protect their own data, they were recently hacked and probably have been hacked for years and don't know it...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Why blame Apple? They simply can't find a technician brave enough to unsolder the flash chip. It is just chicken **** blame shifting.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

Den fredag den 19. februar 2016 kl. 16.48.52 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

what would unsoldering the flash accomplish? The content is encrypted with a 256bit key only known to the hardware

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Once you have the chip unsoldered, you can attach it to other hardware and read out the full contents of the flash. It is still encrypted, but you no longer have to fear losing it from when you get the PIN wrong. You can brute-force check through all 10,000 PIN numbers.

Even if there is no practical way to decode the chip contents without it being in the phone and running the phone software, you have a backup of the data. You try 10 numbers, and when the phone deletes the data you re-program it directly to the flash, then try the next 10 numbers. Sure, it is awkward, and seriously tedious - but it could still be a good deal quicker than fighting with Apple. And you could make duplicate copies of the flash for other phones to test the codes in parallel.

It may even be possible to simple disconnect the "write enable" line to the flash chip - then the software can't erase the data.

Reply to
David Brown

not so simple, the waiting time between tries increases for every fail I think it is something like 60minutes the 9th time

and I don't think you can use another phone because the underlying encryption key is OTP in the hardware of the specific phone

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yes that is why I think this is GRANDSTANDING on both sides and both sides know it.

The feds could probably get this done on their own, I'd be disappointed in them if they can't. The FEDS are using this case to try to set a precident . They think the public will support them in this particular case so they are trying to use this particular case to set the precident.

Apple does not want the precident to become set, they don't want the feds c oming to them for help each time and they are using the case for good PR.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Maybe the FBI has already cracked the code. Maybe Apple has already given them the codes. Maybe all this fighting in public is a ruse to trick people into thinking their phones are secure when they're not

Reply to
bulegoge

Ding!

I vote this post to be correct.

Intentional bluster.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, we do not want cameras up our ass all day and night like some sort of pets, livestock or lab rat. You are subjects of the Crown, we are not and i ntend to remain that way. And we have guns and we like it that way.

In a book called simply "The Occult", the first words are to the effect tha t occult does not mean anything supernatural, in fact there is nothing supe rnatural. Only hidden. In that book are the words "Knowledge is power, and knowledge shared is power lost". This is how they operate. They could break that iphone. They could read the encrypted data from the chip in there and have unlimited tries to crack it because the OS of the phone is what does the erasing. At that point it is just a matter of brute force cracking.

This shit was ordered by A JUDGE. If Apple has really good lawyers who are willing to risk their license, they could challenge jurisdiction. Jurisdict ion is not solely determined by lines on a map.

But the bottom line is that everyone here should know that there has to be access to the encrypted data. At that point then it is just a matter of tim e to crack it.

Or am I wrong ? I could be if the memory is within a chip with its own hard coded OS onboard. But really, I thought these things had SIMs, and when you bought a new iphone you could just pop that in and have all your numbers n shit.

Am I wrong ? Or are they just poising for photos like in the Hillary email deal. So what she had her own servers and deleted files. but those emails w ere between her and people who may not have their own servers, and also, if it went over the internet, the NSA has it anyway.

So we got this No Such Agency that is gathering every bit of info possible but is not going to help when it comes to fighting crime or terrorism. Rath er, they will pressure one of the few remaining USian moneymakers into subm ission and loss to cover up the fact that they are actually gathering infor mation on peope who will organize an armed revolt. CITIZENS who have had en ough and are fed up with this shit.

That is how they roll baby.

Reply to
jurb6006

Jim is just perfectly happy to surrender all of his constitutional rights for ever and ever so that he can be free of fear from Scary Terrorists for a minute or so.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

How about F**k you?

Your three-letter criminal psychopath "agencies" should never get a backdoor to the iPhone, this would simply be another step in the march towards totalitarianism.

S.

Reply to
ssinzig

Bull shit! I have no fear of the terrorists... the likelihood of them even considering visiting my part of Arizona is nil... the ROI of venturing into this region is negative.

A court order is being ignored. Throw Tim Cook's ass in the slammer until he complies.

I think "smart" phones are for stupid people. Why in hell would anyone commit private information to an electronic gadget which can be so easily stolen? And hackable by _anyone_but_ the FBI >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Oh, I'm sorry. Clearly you believe that government should be unrestricted.

Pardon me.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

If the entire US system can't unsolder a flash chip and break a 256 bit cipher you are advertising increasing technical weakness to the world.

Reply to
sean.c4s.vn

My understanding is that Apple has ten days to comply.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster