OT: F**k Apple

ZZINZIG!

GEZUNHEIT!

Juzt couldn't rezizt, zneezeboy.

zee? I know my linez.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Estoy feliz por su victoria percibida. Eres sentido delirante de logro a pesar.

S.

Reply to
ssinzig

Because it's often handy to have data where you can use it. One's phone book is one data set that's pretty handy to have on a smart phone. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Some more details on why hacking this phone is so important to the FBI:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

snip

There is nothing happy about you, jackazz.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The only personal thing in my phone is a text file with my address so it can be sent back to me if I loose it.

In my laptop (and you also probably have one with confidential stuff) I have an encrypted volume that uses Truecrypt. It's 10GB set aside for anything confidential. The developer of Truecrypt no longer supports it but it's a solid program that doesn't need constant bug fixes.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I don't even have that. Probably should.

Only thing in my phone is my telephone directory.

I'll look up Truecrypt. Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Why not? You perform one of the most amusing Colonel Klink impersonations I have seen on USENET, your impotent barbs against my theoretical race notwithstanding.

S.

Reply to
ssinzig

There vaz nothing againzt your race, dumbfuck.

It is the z in your nym.

You ain't real bright, and that has nothing to do with your race.

Oh and "race" would be the wrong term anyway.

It would be ethnicity or ancestry, dipshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Turn that frown upside down! So your wordplay was a sophomoric reference to the spelling of my moniker and not my, ahem, ethnicity. Mea Culpa. Comfort yourself in the knowledge that you are in the immortal word(s) of Charlie Sheen, "Winning".

S.

Reply to
ssinzig

snip

No... I rest in the knowledge that I am superior.

What about your nym would have given me any indication of your race (or ethnicity or ancestry)?

Your capacity to grasp that is about the same as your grasp of the fact that a flash memory chip can be probed and read while still in circuit. Somewhere around nil.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The difference between you and The Donald, AlwaysWrong, is that sometimes he's right.

Reply to
krw

A cracker can work on it at maximum speed of his CPU, so use at least a

20 character password. Mine is 32. Dictionary words count as 2 or 3 letters, but 'the' counts as less than 1, so my password is equivalent to 22.

It unlocks to form a virtual drive, which I open and close with a couple of batch files. "vault.tc" is of course the name of my encrypted file.

===unlock.cmd=== set letter=V d:\TrueCrypt\truecrypt.exe /Q /M /L%letter% /V D:\TrueCrypt\vault.tc

===lock.cmd=== set letter=V d:\TrueCrypt\truecrypt.exe /d %letter%: /q

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

There isn't a problem with high risk data on the Apple platform.

Imagine if this had been on a Windoze phone the FBI would only have needed to find a clued up teenage script kiddie to get into it.

Why not? It allows you to carry with you the latest drafts of whatever you are working on. No different to a memory stick in that respect.

Pictures/videos of things you happen to have seen since the camera is always with you in the phone and some are quite good for their size.

Music (and video) is the most commonly stored thing on them, but diaries, contact and to do lists come a close second.

The smart phone has become the modern version of a filofax. (but without the expensive paper refills)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Is it probable that the FBI NSA whoever has already hacked this phone and has the info they want.

The govt is using this specific case to pound Apple becasue they think public opinion is on the govts side this time and they want to set a precident.

It isn't about this specific phone.

It's about getting the high tech community to SUBMIT.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Den mandag den 22. februar 2016 kl. 23.22.36 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

I doubt it

Indeed, they picked a case they expect the public to backup Forcing Apple to build something is something Apple has a chance of fighting. Once the tool has been build everyone with a warrant can demand to get it and Apple has very little chance of fighting that

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I think it is about them already having it and getting the device community to act as if they will not submit, all the while the AppleTards get credit for standing up for "privacy rights", all the while they actually let them in because they know national security is at stake, all the while we are kept in the dark, all the while we feel more comfortable and secure "resting in the knowledge" that our privacy has been maintained.

In other words, we all just got the big wool pulled over our eyes... again.

Didn't anybody see the Turing movie?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They had to pick a case, of course, in order to get a court order.

Also of note, breaking into a phone is illegal search (until the court orders it), and bypassing encryption security features is illegal (under DMCA, until the court orders it).

We hear that 'Apple just wants to serve its business interest', but behind that is the fact that Apple has advertised and sold devices with assurances that privacy is not breached: it's an implied warranty, and that cannot legally be set aside (unless there's a court order). Some, perhaps many, of hundreds of millions of iPhone users, are seriously affected, who have legal, medical, banking, military, diplomatic, or other reasons to fear privacy violations.

The court will always take the narrow view ( lady Justice wears a blindfold). So, until Apple presents their objections, the court hasn't heard any of those arguments, and has only ruled on the narrow search-of-device issue. The court might never hear from the hundreds of millions of iPhone users unless Apple speaks up for them.

They also might not ever hear that the task is unethical or improper or just plain uncertain to succeed. Or, that it places an unreasonable business-credibility burden on Apple.

Reply to
whit3rd

Lasse has a twisted leftist view... he's never been a victim of a crime... he needs to be >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Den tirsdag den 23. februar 2016 kl. 02.11.31 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

thinking that the government shouldn't just be able to force a private company to work for them is leftist?

you don't seem to be a fan of big government with power to do what ever they want, so why in this case?