OT Excluding Google in search results?

Arghhh! I have google set as my home page. I was just trying to remove it and make duckduck the home page. I can't get rid of google. (It's like a bad dream!) I'm using IE as a browser. When I go to the option to set home page to the default. (Some MSN thing.) It still goes back to google!

George H.

======================

Is your AV program locking it? Art

Reply to
Artemus

oup

for

en I

Thanks Joerg, It looks like it's something wrong with IE. The secretary can't change her home page either. I'm willing to bet that the microsoft solution will involve upgrading some old piece of software. Why do computer issues seem like such a time sink? I learn something and five years later it's different. No ones changing the charge of an electron.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ahh, that could be! I'll ask,

Thanks (maybe) George

Reply to
George Herold

I've used Yahoo for several years' partly because of avoiding Google and partly because, with 2 key strokes, I can drop into the unwanted box:

--------------------------- ebay "compare prices" compare amazon bizrate kelkoo dooyoo pricerunner shopzilla nextag shoppingcentre freebytes medusa teloos "192.com" "shop.com" betterdeals "ec21.com" "price comparison" pricemate "ciao.com" kellysearch fastfinders choiceful shopwiki

-----------------------------------

whereas Google severely truncates that. Recently Yahoo took to giving weird results, increasing the hits if UK was invoked/exclusions added(!) and changed its images fortmat to be like Googles but wouldn't go beyond the first page. I changed to Google for images but, as has been said, my default of 20 hits became 10 for any other format.

It's all very annoying as I've had my own urls for ages, with all of my preferences in and no cookies required - now it's all broken!

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

In Firefox (back-up only) I've Adblock and Ghostery; in Opera, Ghostery and the various urlfilters, then a Hosts file of nearly 250k lines and /still/ the bastards get through!

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Oh, you can do that, too. Just file the requisite patent somewhere. I am quite sure it'll sail through if worded correctly :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That should be -site:google.com

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

group

for

nice.

There is still MapQuest. Not as handy, but works ok.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Tried that, and some others, too. None produces maps that are as readable as they used to be. Too fuzzy, and that ain't my eyes :-)

So I resorted to a true and tried method. There's a pouch behind the seats in my car, with good old maps in there. But I found I'll need new maps for many areas. Hopefully one can still buy maps.