Including personal web site on resume

Any opinions on this? If the website contains only electronics hobby related things showing electronics projects, and no personal opinions/ politics, do you think there's any harm in this?

As an electrical engineer with a passion for building "gadgets" (something I don't get to do at my current employer) this seems like a good idea. But I'm not sure if I should do it.

Reply to
hondgm

No harm. Quite the opposite. Do it. Employers find it helpful. A resume states what's on offer; a hobby website shows it.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

Well, what are the potential risks and benefits?

Is your hobby stuff reasonably impressive to a typical engineer? Then it's a strong positive, IMHO, when you're looking for a new job doing something technical or at least technical-related. It also gives you something to be enthusiastic about in an interview- something that might not be possible about your current job, particularly if you are not permitted to discuss particulars.

If you're looking to moonlight and keep your current job, OTOH, a whole different set of concerns come into play.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Since you're looking for a more interesting job, an employer that is acceptable to you should appreciate your passion for building gadgets.

Hey, post us a link!

John

I shall respond with an enthusiastic and loud *YES* :-)

If you did a nice job documenting stuff then hiring managers can see what your capabilities are, whether you are organized and whether you can write. Back when I interviewed around 25 years ago there was no Internet to write home about. So I assembled a neat and clean binder with many of my hobby projects in there. Photos, descriptions, schematics. Friendly advice from folks at the university hinted that I'd ridicule myself with that and that I should absolutely not do it. Luckily I did not listen to them. Oh were they wrong!

One interviewer remembered this binder for months. When I gave him a ride home from the office one day he said "George, can we swing by your place? I want to see that monster RF amp".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

And also a hint of what you are looking for. We all have contacts and hear about openings once in a while. If you feel comfortable with that you could even have a resume online. But watch out that sensitive personal information cannot be skimmed but bad folks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Back in the day, my employer told me they hired me in tough times primarily because the documentation I sent them on my home projects demonstrated that I had more than book smarts.

As a hiring manager, I gave great weight to an applicant's desire and ability to build something instead of watching sports and drinking beer. Doesn't matter whether they build electronics stuff or costume jewelry. CREATE something, anything, in your spare time.

Directly related competence is also critical.

I don't think I am in the majority. I've had applicants tell me that out of all their interviews, I was the only one to probe the depths of their knowledge and creativity.

You can teach math. You can't teach curiosity and creativity. It's best to hire it.

So, give them the website, just make sure it's polished real shiny. Don't wanna turn 'em off before they get to the good stuff.

Stated another way, it's difficult to make yourself look desirable. But it's really, really easy to slam the door in your own face. Takes only a tiny bit of imperfect to spoil the whole thing.

I once made the mistake of telling a hiring manager that I didn't want or need a company car. His decision was made that instant.

Reply to
mike

Ok here's what it is right now. I haven't been doing much with it recently. I fixed a few things just a minute ago, but have more work to do.

As is probably obvious, I'm not a HTML expert, but don't claim to be.

I won't be sending out any resumes right now, but in the next few months plan to. And I plan to relocate to a different area.

I did consider putting my resume on the website, but I'm still uncomfortable with it. Eventually I may.

hondgm

What they don't know can't hurt you. Your site maybe less than impressing.

Reply to
D from BC

I would make a mention of it. I don't see any thing there that would hurt. The power supplies look very clean. Shows that you put extra effort into the electro mechanical designs.

Martin Riddle

But you are better at it than I am :-)

Nice! As a hiring manager I'd like that, and I was a hiring manager for several years.

You might want to put the email address up in the form of a picture so it reads better. Or use a script for that. Or a real link with a disposable address.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I thought of making a website with a gallery of all my projects that blew up. :P But it may give the wrong impression :P

Reply to
D from BC

Hey, they might figure that's training they won't have to pay for. With many ADC and DAC chips running upwards of $100 a pop these days, not to mention obscenely expensive (and obscenely capable) FPGAs, it's good to have someone who knows how not to handle them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I can tell a customer "Yes I can do it. I have the experience of doing it the wrong way." :P

Reply to
D from BC

I put my personal web site on a CV, maybe a risk but I like to be honest. It's easier to update it, I use Google to host it, so very easy to use. Main advantages is images of what I have made over the years, CVs generally don't have pictures. Lyndsay

Lyndsay Williams

I did it. Didn't do any harm and actually gave the interviewer a couple of starting points (you know how antisocial we engineers are). There's no harm to it. Put it right under your e-mail address and it's going to be just fine.

--
weland@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

Your resume should be one cover page and a one page (one side) resume.

You should not reference your personal web page, because despite it being related to your work, it is likely not related to industrial employment, which is what the HR interviewer wants to see. It is really about giving them what they want to see. Bring out the flair after you get a job.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Then the HR person has no clue how to find a good engineer and someone else should do the recruiting.

That could be too late because someone else already got that job. Someone who brought out the flair in time ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Looks good to me. If you really enjoy doing these, do not be scared to show them. They might filter some boring office job, but those employing for jobs you'd probably enjoy will appreciate your stuff.

I'm currently planning on hiring an engineer and this kind of stuff is a definite big plus at least for me.

P.S. Pointers are not frustrating, they're what C is all about!

Reply to
Mikko OH2HVJ

I often tell them: "Yes I'll do it, since I don't know it's impossible"

--
Thanks,
Fred.