Google Search History

Whoa!!! Have you discovered Google's fantastic personalized Internet Search History?

Check out the calendar, where you can explore all the old searches you made on a specific day. Totally cool, dude!

Of course, I trust this rather personal information is only available to me, and not to any others. This includes some law-enforcement officers who might want to look at it, e.g., "Canada's Largest ISP, Bell Sympatico, informed its customers that it intends to "monitor or investigate ... your use of your service provider's networks ... and to disclose any information necessary to satisfy any governmental request."

Note "request" -- that means *without* any court order...

The article says most other ISPs will soon follow. For all I know, the large U.S. providers are already on board.

This will reveal a significant portion of my personal life to any "law-enforcement officer" person who might have a grudge against me, or perhaps might decide I was a "respected person" who should be taken down. All this person has to do is make a request, and start data mining. I'm sorry to say that I've watched this kind of vendetta happen, on multiple occasions. We know that some obscure law-enforcement "officers" seem to relish this kind of twisted anti-social activity. Sadly our system favors them, with secret no-defense-council grand-jury proceedings, and a whole panoply of fearsome expensive tools.

OK, all that aside, the Google Search-History tool is awesome!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

No history listed there for me, and I stay logged into Google most of the time.

So how does the "history" get logged in there? I.P based?, Google account based? Either way it seems I'm still off the radar :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

You need to log into it it seems.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"You have no privacy. Get used to it"

- Scott McNealy

John

Ah, it now shows my search history from when I logged in. So logging in seems to switch it on? You can also delete all your history and choose not to be logged until you enable it again.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Sounds potentially useful.

What email did you log in with ? I already had a gmail account - ssssshhh - don't tell anyone !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I used my normal gmail/Google Groups username and password.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Another thing I've found is that bypassing DNS (using e.g. http://66.102.9.104 instead of

keeps things from being logged (without logging off).

Reply to
JeffM

Bad news, Win:

I found all of your posts under this email address back to 2003.

So, You were Win whill_at_picovolt-dot-com?

That was quite thread about Worm and Virus Attacks!

Only in Google can you have your Privates exposed and not be arrested for indecency. And we all know what In-Decent means?

I found my first post ever from August of 1996. Almost a decade of decadence!

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

On 28 Jun 2006 19:37:21 -0700, Winfield Hill wrote in Msg.

Those officers don't have to use google's database; they have their own. A Google search is not more than a simple http request of maybe 100 bytes length. Anybody who logs IP traffic knows your "search history".

Actually, if I were involved in the so-called "anti-terrorist" activities that seem to justify all kinds of civil rights violations, Google search traffic would be the first thing I'd look at. It's the most readily available source of information on what a person is really interested in. And since it's so little data I see no reason why not

*every* search request of *every* user would be logged. If Google can do it, so can your ISP.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

There is already a big file on you... the government at one level or another has been framing and wrongfully imprisoning and executing people for years, mostly ethnic minorities. You didn't bother to do anything about it then, so now it's coming around to you:-) Many thanks to your venal generation for creating a Godless society...and I would say that the low-life, cowardly, and corrupt mentality characteristic of this problem is amply manifested in the pack of lurking vermin habituating SED.

Search histories have been recorded for many years now. Here is a case where it was presented as evidence in a murder trial:

wherein:

Quote:

A computer expert told jurors that six months before, Barber used Google to search for "trauma cases gunshot right chest." One of the wounds he suffered was just below his right nipple, and prosecutors said he was using the Internet to research how to survive.

End Quote

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Time for a proxy then.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

violations,

The second thing would be subverting DNS so that "they" get copies of all DNS request - one can draw nice maps of "accomplishes" that way.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

That's silly - the way things are going Google will be selling the information to anyone, curtesy of the one-click "licence" where,

2/3'rds of the way through 2 MB of impenetrable legaleeze you formally agree to be screwed over in any way possible, forever (you did agree to the "terms and conditions might change" did you not ;-).

"Analyst" and "investors" will marvel over how this is a great idea and the stock will push beyond USD 1000; the only saving grace will be the ever-increasing government incompetence and sloth in actually using the information.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Thank you, i rarely meet anyone with more dystopian observations than my own.

--
JosephKK
 Click to see the full signature