[OT] EDN cover art FAIL

90% of electronic calculations can be done in your head. Need a pullup resistor? 4.7K. Lowpass filter? 1K, 1 uF, tau=1 ms, 160 Hz. Opamp gain of +5? 1K and 4.02K. Close enough.

John

TheGlimmerMan:

I believe that you believe it.

Even a firecracker is smarter than you and louder than your mouthfarts. That's why I believe that, from your point of view, the firecracker you lit on 7/4 is a smart bomb. Fond memories, uh?

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

There is a difference between approximate and damn sloppy.

I have a K&E LogLog duplex VersaTrig, do you have a slide rule? It normally provides 2 to 2-1/2 digits accuracy (~0.5%); much better than just about 1 digit (10%)

A mind. As said by another here," Engineering is the art of making what want out of what you have."

Reply to
josephkk

1.8,=20

Check the scales on the illustration again.

Reply to
josephkk

Interpolation like you mentioned is easy, BUT the _accuracy_ decreases as the number approaches 9 (best between 1 and 2).

Reply to
Robert Baer

2.2k. red-red-red
Reply to
Richard Henry

josephkk:

Where do you put the limit? Should'nt it be related to the application? It seems that you lack the basic understanding of the trade.

Yes, because engineers are the only ones using it.

Exactly. If you are driving and you hear on the radio the forecasted temperature expressed in an idiotic unit of measure, what do you do? Pull over and start your calculations or get a cold?

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

10K. Markings make no sense anyway, even if you can read them.
Reply to
krw

PKB

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I liked those carbon comps black-black-black. One good for corporate politics: brown-brown-brown for the brown-nose-ers.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It won't do any good. All he understands is 'metric'. :(

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only if you're so brain dead you can't do the math in your head.

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Michael A. Terrell: