Funny! (Only for those who still know how to laugh)

Funny! (Only for those who still know how to laugh)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

We had DNS issues at work today, or just no conection to the Internet. Still not resolved as of this evening. I gonna have fun and play this up tomorrow ;D

Martin Riddle

I'm generally on the side of less regulation, but cable is pretty monopolistic, in that you if you really want choice you have to move to get the company you want. But that is not a choice. After deregulation, the providers will favor their money producing services over your choice of websites, we will probably end up with tiered choices just like cable. The US has a slow, expensive internet compared to other countries. Families are showing there dislike of the cost of cable by cord cutting. I'm working on SWMBO about dropping the cable TV and Cable provided phone. I just bought an Amazon Firestick when they were on sale for $24.99. It is much smoother to operate than Kodi. I'm learning how to add APKs on my Firestick for additional video streams. If I get on Google fiber, will they allow Amazon to run as fast as a Google product? Why? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There's an RFC out for a Mozilla scheme to do DNS over HTTPS so that ISPs have to STFU about where packets come from.

Too many acronyms--I need to lie down for a bit.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Here's what the Cato Institute thought about the 1996 telecommunications act back in 1997:

"The 1996 act, while requiring such interconnection, left a great deal of room for negotiation between existing telephone companies and new entrants. That was wise."

How many new competing telcos are there in 2017 that you can get service from that weren't there in some form or other 20 years ago?

"But judging from its previous actions the FCC will do so by examining the entrails of economic models to determine what access costs are, not by allowing the market process to work its wonders.

For government agencies to try to second-guess the marketplace always involves hubris. Second-guessing the telecommunications marketplace ? which appears to offer new services and even entirely new kinds of services ? is pure folly."

It's 2017 and Comcast and Verizon are rich as Croesus without offering a damn thing that's any better or more innovative than most other places in the world, so I guess the market is working just fine.

Reply to
bitrex

PCMCIA

People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I got a better one for ya: "ISPs were renewing their pledges this week not to block or throttle or otherwise discriminate against legal online content even if their common-carrier classification were reversed."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, the Internet was a real mess before Obama.

Reply to
krw

In 2007 yearly global Internet traffic was around 1 exabyte. Headed into

2018 yearly global Internet traffic is well past 1 zettabyte.

Statistically speaking, the Internet didn't exist before Obama.

Reply to
bitrex

Now we know just how crazy you are.

Reply to
krw

Bitrex is not crazy at all, though he has an eye for a comic paradox. But krw really is crazy, and draws lunatic conclusions from data that really doesn't support those conclusions.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Damn ISPs will charge you extra for NetFlix. Next thing you know the telco's are gonna charge extra for a international phone call claiming it cost them a lot of money to move your voice under the ocean.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Bullshit.