OT: Eagle feathers, part 1 of N

I tried to add a part to the California Micro Devices library and found it impossible to add a SMD part (or any part other than an 18-pin dip). Now the system thinks there is this extra 18-pin dip "part" and i cannot get rid of it. There are parts i would like to add but can find no way to do so. ?help?

Reply to
Robert Baer

You need to read the handbook, Eagle isn't as intuitive as OrCad or others but it can be tamed. You need to create the footprint separately, has nothing to do with your part or even the symbol. You can also find the desired footprint in another library and grab it via "cut", then open your target library, create a new footprint with same name, "paste", save library, then add that footprint to your device and connect all pins.

Why cut & paste and not copy & paste, beats me. Maybe because the initial GUI for Eagle may have been Bavarian ... ahm, German.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Handbook? What handbook? Hell, i got lost trying to follow instructions from some site found by the drooling baby gull (goo...). Wound up with more un-erasable trash.

** Wonderful.. 1) "Group" does nothing. 2) For libraries, the "use" makes zero difference - hell i cannot even use ref_packages and smd_ipc libraries which came with Eagle; "outside" libraries are slightly worse. 3) If i go into the control panel and select libraries, i definitely can see all of the libraries (that are on the hard drive in the \eagle\lib folder). All of the libraries have a green dot, except for the recently added "outside" libraries. I can click on the grey dot and make it green (right click shows no check by "use" before, and a check after). But that makes ZERO difference in that one cannot use any of the "outside" libraries or even the two mentioned libs.

Selecting my on-going schematic, selecting Library and Use etc makes ZERO difference; nothing helps.

** (NOT) Attached is my latest: mcu.sch, err.gif (showing errors that cannot be fixed) and a wild stab at making a board from the mess. Hand translated err.gif: Net GND overlaps pin (not true; checked VERY carefully), Net N$# overlaps pin (ditto), Net N$4 overlaps pin (ditto), Only one pin on net N$3 (wire clearly goes from MCU pin to connector pin), Only one pin on net N$4 (wire clearly goes from MCU pin to connector pin), POWER pin IC1 VDD connected to +5, POWER pin IC1 VDD connected to +5, POWER pin IC1 VSS connected to GND, POWER pin IC1 VSS connected to GND, Unconnected pin X1-16 KL (this is true and acceptable). Note that the errors about N$# and N$4 are about pins 39 and 40...and that no wires resulted on the (messy) board. Adding a connector (green dot) made zero difference. ** And, naturally, i cannot get rid of that spurious "part" DIP18 (i think) in the California Micro Devices lib. There are a number of parts i would like to make but if i goof there is no way to delete..then that option is gone. If magically there was a lib that had what i wanted, there would be no way to use it..
Reply to
Robert Baer

The red thingie that used to be part of a tree and came with the package :-)

If you got the freeware or lost the book there is a PDF version on your hard drive after installation.

Group -> scissors -> brush. Works. Unfortunately they use icons so I needed a cheat sheet for a while because I am a text guy.

Try "use *" on the command line, comanding it to use all libraries. Works every single time.

IMHO they screwed up that one and at least in version 4 never fixed it. The drop down menu doesn't always work, got to use the command line with "use *" before you open the first schematic of the morning. It's like the old Opels where you needed a hammer and tap the starter so it would pull in. Not sure about version 5 since I won't buy an upgrade until they fix the major shortcoming, lack of hierarchy.

Library -> Remove -> then key in name of part you want to send to Mars.

Seriously, you need to read the manual. The GUI in Eagle is in some aspects, ahem, unorthodox. I came down with a serious flu the day after my Eagle license package arrived in the mail so I used the two days in bed to read the handbook all the way through several times. It pays off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

,

ed

es ZERO

ERY

and

re

Eagle birthing pains! I feel your pain. Fortunately when I was learning Eagle I had a co-worker working with it at the same time... We could each discover how to do something and share.

From the control panel you can pull down 'options' select 'Directories' and then add more library directories. The green dot means that that library is 'active'. You can add parts from it to your schematic.

Making new parts in a library is a bit of a pain to learn. There are three separate steps you need to do.

1.) make a schematic part (symbol) 2.)make the pcb foot print (package) 3.) link these two together (device)

You can 'group' 'cut' and then 'paste' from and existing part. The group and cut are a bit strange... cutting doesn't make the part go away, but really copies it.... strange syntax, but as Joerg said perhaps it's a German thing.

You really do need the manual. At one time I think you could down load it from their website... not sure if that's still true.

Ohh I'm also using version 4.15

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Get used to making *ALL* your own symbolic devices. With Cadsoft EAGLE's DRM, it's the *only* way to avoid getting locked out of your own work product.

JeffM

  • Does not work; was told that one must select the action (ie: move) first, and then select group. Have yet to try that because i do not need it now.
  • Command line? You mean i need to be in CMD / DOS mode, ramble around to the correct folder and type "eagle use *" (no quotes)? Inside Eagle, in their command window, those 2 libs have the green dot (equals "use") and they are not accessible in the schematic.
  • Oh; sounds like you _did_ mean to use the CMD / DOS line.
  • Will try, but if there was more than one version of that name elsewhere (or even in a different context), would they all get removed?
  • Will see if i can find the version on the disk.
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • But the libraries ref_packages (or smd_ipc are not shown, so i cannot get the parts i need.
  • i tried a cut from lib#1 into lib#2 and it looked like i was successful; but i only see it in the control window list.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks; i guess i will need to do a lot of reading.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Nope. First group, put box around area you want, cut, go to target library, past.

There is a one-line empty text field up top. That's where you type that in, not into a DOS box.

Only in that library. If it is already used in a device it'll block you from doing that, and it should. Because otherwise you could inadvertently blow library parts into smittereens.

You really, really, need to study the manual :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

.

ly,

ound

"

an

added

makes ZERO

hat

d VERY

,

e).

...and

(i

there

d be

Hmm I do remember that I was really frustrated for a while trying to use existing parts to make new parts in a library. I don't think you can cut and paste a 'whole' part. You can only cut and paste the symbol and the package. (But don't quote me on that...) Anyway that's the way I now do it.

Yeah read over the manual and then come back with questions.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

** I have tried almost every trick in the book to delete that mistake i made where i attempted to make new part. Deleting all of eagle, deleting the folders, and even ripping what i could find in the registry made ZERO difference; re-loading Eagle from the CD resulted in having the same extra "part". So now i have this nasty virus that cannot be expunged save starting with a wiped drive and installing everything (and -NO- Eagle)!!! If i were rich i would see what the courts would say to CadSoft about that! Problems: 1) impossible to delete mistakes in libraries, 2) extremely inconsistent, 3) impossible to make some connections, 4) impossible to use parts in some provided libraries, 5) impossible to make a usable board, and worst of all, impossible to remove its "shadow" as mentioned above. ** Well, since Eagle is clearly unusable, i am dumping it and will pray that the bird droppings do not raise a stink on other programs. Should never have "installed" it on my master drive.
Reply to
Robert Baer

ng

out

ely

ay

I delete mistake parts by opening the library, then open the 'device' window, then right click in the part/ variant window. This brings up an option to delete the part.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No idea what went wrong in your case (unless you downloaded a crqacked copy ...) but I am using Eagle as a paid license reliably and productively since about five years. No crashes, nothing. So I guess a court would not be able to help you here ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A while back, I had deleted Eagle and scrubbed entries in the registry (yet again) So, i loaded the bird yet again (lost count) and...hold your breath are you sitting down...i get those tiny icons in the library! ((first time!!)) And...i was able to fix my schematic.

** ...Well, your scheme does not work; this is what i see: Open library in control panel by clicking on the "+"; see nothing related to "device" but see list of libraries. So..scroll down to the California Micro Devices library name. Right click shows one can "delete", but that deletes that library; NOT what i want to do; also allows "open" so i try that and get a window. So click on remove and type in name DIL18.PAC and get error "in use by CM8870C" - so that does not work.

So still impossible to delete it.

Reply to
Robert Baer