OT: DigiKey "billing"

So one orders a bunch of stuff online from DigiKey and prints the order summary that does NOT have the shipping cost (and maybe incorrect sales tax). Eventually one gets the parts with an "invoice" that also does NOT have the shipping cost (and maybe incorrect sales tax). Go online to find the actual shipping cost or actual total? Where?

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you sign in to your account then you can look at your order history. The order history will have an invoice like this;

I don't get too much from Digikey, to pricey I use mainly Newark.

If you dont have an account you can use the Web ID and Access ID number they give you to check "order status".

But both will also send you an invoice to your email address.

Digikey shipping in NA is $8 (free if your order exceeds $200) overnight UPS, Newark is $12. If your Canadian all taxes with the exception of GST are included in the price Digikey adds the GST on the total. Newark adds the total tax GST and PST 15% to the total.

If all else fails call them.

Reply to
Hammy

"FREE SHIPPING on Orders of $200 CAD and greater."??

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

"There is no free shipping." Digikey paid for it. It's a minor point, but one can (sometimes) expense shipping for tax reasons but you have to capitalize parts, and you can't do that if Digikey hides the actual shipping cost.

John

Yes sorry Digikey waves the $8 shipping charge on Canadian orders over $200 or at least they were when I placed my last order with them.

I believe how it works is they have a preferred courier which maybe they negotiate a contract price with to handle all deliveries. For example Digikey may only being paying 4 bucks for true delivery charge but charging us 8 bucks. This is probably the same for all major distributors. I'm not complaining 8 bucks for overnight delivery is reasonable.

Reply to
Hammy

If it makes a difference to their customers, they could show the shipping as a fixed amount and then discount the purchase price by the difference. It's just a few lines of code for them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I see no access to "order status". Yes, i can get the "invoice" for any order - but like i said, shipping etc is not stated.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Its right on the first page

There's links for

ONLINE ORDERING ORDER STAUS . . . ABOUT DIGIKEY

They also have a 1-800 number up top.

This is the page you see when you go to Digikey isn't it?

Hammy

Yes, but..not useful; in fact LESS useful than other methods. It asks for Web ID and Access ID, and after filling that out, i get a page with: Order Status

Salesorder Number 25905010 Invoice Number 30074004 Purchase Order 12282009 Release Status Initial Shipment Last Shipment 12/29/2009 2:01:43 PM CT Shipment Date 12/29/2009 2:01:43 PM CT

Box Weight Shipping Method Tracking

1 5 oz UPS Ground 1Z5674320300584144

Zero pricing info and definitely zero shipping cost info. Use invoice number to get the "invoice"? Like i have said twice before, ZERO info on shipping cost: shipping = unknown, total = unknown. Still at square zero.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check your account settings. When I order from DigiKey I always get 2 emails. One is the order confirmation that has a web order id. The second email comes when the order actually ships and has a pdf of the invoice that does include all cost including shipping and tax. This email comes from snipped-for-privacy@digikey.com. Are you getting the order shipment email? If not maybe your spam filter is killing it. If you are not getting either of these emails check your email address in your DigiKey account settings.

You can also login to your DigiKey account (login from the main page) On the My DigiKey page click on the Order Status link

This page will show current and past orders. Click on the sales order number or the one associated with your web order id.

The order status page will come up and there are 2 buttons you can use "View Invoiced Order" and "Request Copy of Invoice".

If you click "Request Copy of Invoice" a page will come up asking for a email address. Enter your email address, click "Submit" and in a few minutes you will have a PDF of the invoice with all charges

Reply to
Joe Chisolm

Now, finally, when i check into DigiKey regarding my order, i get the full price with shipping. I guess it took about a week from shipping for the shipping info to get posted.

** E-mails...never got that "second" one..so you gotta be right in that my spam filter is getting fatter on those e-mails. Thanks
Reply to
Robert Baer

summary that does NOT have the shipping cost (and

the shipping cost (and maybe incorrect sales tax).

I've got a funnier story. I've ordered stuff from Digikey and paid with bank transfer (overseas). Since US banks charge some fees I added a bit more. It turns out I added a few bucks more than the fee was. Now this seems to have screwed up digikeys accounting. They keep sending me statements showing I owe them... negative amount. Just a couple bucks. They are sending this in envelopes overseas and its been coming every 1-3 months now for a while. Probably the cost of these envelopes and mail exceeded the amount long time ago.

I guess their system was not designed to deal with overpayment. You can often have some fun by overpaying just a few cents. Imagine all customers doing it at the same time...

Mark

Reply to
TheM

order summary that does NOT have the shipping cost (and=20

have the shipping cost (and maybe incorrect sales tax).

bank

Way back in the 1960s a neighbor of mine received a check for $0.01 for=20 overpayment on an order. The blighter framed it instead of cashing it.

Reply to
JosephKK

I had one for a nickel that I framed, but his .01 is even funnier. Did he frame the envelope showing the postage involved also?

I've often wondered if some bean counter somewhere had to track that undeposited check for 6 months as an OUTSTANDING CHECKS balance?

Reply to
Greegor

Some thirty years ago, there was a rate-payers "strike" against Commonwealth Edison. Customers couldn't refuse to pay, but a significant number overpaid their bill by $1, the minimum that required them to carry as a credit (with interest, IIRC). It took their datacenter to its knees with the extra work each month.

Reply to
krw

I've always assumed that was the case. In the 70's I had numerous $1 or less checks, which I just tossed into my desk, to be a nuisance ;-) In later years most credit card companies adopted a "rule" that you had to make formal request for small-amount refunds. Even IRS does that now.

Love it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

for

it.

It was inside the shipping carton.