OT: Did they take the backup feature out of MS-Works?

Gents,

Using MS-Works for databases and most spreadsheets. Mostly database though and there I always run the automatic feature "Backup the previous version when saving". Long story short a new PC came with a license of the newest MS-Works, version 8.5. Can't find the backup feature. Arrgh!

Did they take it out? If so is there anyone at MS whom I could toss into the dunk tank for that decision?

Is it legal to copy one instance of an older version from another PC over the new one? IOW if you have 3 old-version licenses and one new, can you legally chuck the new one and provide yourself with 4 old-versions instead? The old one can't be purchased anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Just use what works. Who's going to check? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I just want to keep everything legit :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If there's anybody who deserves to be bootlegged...

John

I just discovered another thing they may have screwed up. The ctrl-c -> ctrl-v copy method often doesn't stick. Sometimes even the "paste" in the menu is grayed out, for now apparent reason. A few minutes later it sometimes works again, sometimes not. Oh man ...

Older software = better software

Maybe I should fire up old OrCad SDT after all, that was the best CAD since sliced bread. Nothing ever came close.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What CAD did you use to slice bread? ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

HiWire. Best little schematic capture ever. As easy as pencil on graph paper but the output is way prettier. I've still got an ancient CGA version(!) that I'd still be using except the dongle doesn't work. Copy protection sucks.

'Course HiWire didn't integrate with layout (you could import/export netlists with smARTworks) but I've never found a sweeter capture module. Using OrCAD 15 today and HiWire capture was better.

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Join the Revolution at http://www.ronpaul.com

This one?

It does seem to be integrated if you buy the layout parts. Anyhow, thanks, I'll check it out. But it better be good since $1000 is not exactly chump change.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Of packages targeting the professional market, ORCAD Capture is just about the worst these days. Many of the cheap or free "hobbyist"-level programs are better... the only major features they tend to lack that ORCAD has is database integration, and perhaps scripting (I say "perhaps" because ORCAD's scripting is very bare bones, making it of marginal utility.)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I'm still running PCAD tango from 1996, rock solid, maybe one crash in the last 3 years, it would probably be a bit limiting for "The Larkins" around here, but suits me fine.

I tried the PCAD 2006 demo, some nice features, but so operationally slow compared to tango, but it looked like a nice paper work generator :(

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

That's the sequel. It's still a DOS program, so they haven't done any updates "lately"... I downloaded their demo and it doesn't run under XP. I'll have to dig up a DOS box and see if it works there.

I used CGA HiWire (not HiWire II) to do the schematics for my first for-pay PCB layout in 1984 -- did the layout old skool, red/blue/black tape at 4X on a lightboard. Times have changed!

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Join the Revolution at http://www.ronpaul.com
Reply to
Gordon S. Hlavenka

Well, then I might as well dig out my old OrCad SDT-III license. That's one of the best pieces of software ever written. No crash in a decade or so. Not one.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, I never really liked SDT all that much.

I hated the fact that you could not zoom in past the basic resolution, so if you got a new, hi res monitory, you couldn't read your symbol graphics any longer. Running it in anything above 640x480 was just an exercise in frustration for me. Give me a windows version any day...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Unless you have a huge monitor, then it should be ok. I never had any issue like that. Then again I was a lot younger and didn't need glasses back in those days, so who knows.