Backup and restore of files!

Hello,

I want to implement a backup and restore function on a embedded system. I thought about to use tar to put all the files into a backup file. And on restore just untar them. Is this a good way to implement such a function or is there better ways?

/Goran

Reply to
Goran

That is one way to implement a backup-like function. You don't really provide enough information to suggest if it would be adequate or not.

- What sort of system is your device?

- What is the size of the files?

- What is the size of the storage in your device?

- Is the backup intended to let files survive a failure of the embedded storage hardware?

- What other ways are there to get bits out? Expansion cards, network interfaces, control busses, what?

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylorpicante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
 Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/

Thanks for your response Grant. I know i didn't provide vey much information but i will add some here. This embedded system runs the 2.4 Linux kernel. The files i want to backup is user/password configurations, SNMP configurations and some other configuration files. Are are quite small files and storage area should not be any problem. I though about to do the backup in two steps. First the generation of the backup file on the embedded system and then downloaded with ftp. To restore the system upload of the file and then run a command with the backfile as argument. Quite simple i hope.

Reply to
Goran