Re: PSpice Logic Levels

Joerg wrote in news:Jiawk.21480$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com: [snip]

> OrCad SDT was very good. I am more and more tempted to go back to that. > None of the "new and improved" high-faluting Windows CAD packages has > ever reached its robustness. > > But I want to change only one more time because every time you switch > it's new libraries, new schematic file formats, new everything. >

I thought that the advantage of spice programs was they can all share the same model format and can acess any file/model directory, similarly to how all graphics/paint programs being able to handle JPG format and regardless of directory location? Is that not the case, then...?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

To some extent, it is the case. Pretty much all reputable CAD programs can or can me made to output a SPICE netlist. When it comes to the simulators there are some specialty cases where you could get in trouble, minor syntax details.

However, I only simulate critical stuff and there I find it easier to use a fully integrated GUI like the one LTSpice offers. Much faster when you want to see what happens if R13 is smaller or L7 drifts a bit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:FSfwk.289$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com:

Ah, OK. I was wondering, becasue I did DL a few free Spice programs (you may recall that I'm a learner, and using the programs casually) but I was wondering why I couldn't use models from one program in other programs. It's probalbly just that I'm doing something wrong and need to get more familiar with them.

THanks,

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Become familiar with one and stick to that. LTSpice is now my favorite. My whole life I've only changed once, from a licensed PSpice DOS-Version to the free LTSpice, mainly because of its nice graphics rendering.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's (almost) true for all _netlist_ transfers, but schematic interfacing capability is essentially non-existent.

...Jim Thompson

                   Liberals are so ignorant...
         They don\'t even know the definition of ignorant

With the emphasis on "almost".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

of

No. All that's required for some weird shit, like Cadence, is some scripted editing. I just rebuilt an entire X-Fab standard digital cell library (originally in Cadence CDL obtuseness) to PSpice... two days work :-(

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

of

That's what I meant. "Oh, I'm just gonna ..." can turn into a long session. Even in the DOS days when I received files and combined them with mine there would be this weird error message. Hours later I'd know what caused it. Some FET model twang was off, whatever.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:eTgwk.40517$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Good to know - LTSPice is one that I've settled on, because it seems to be fairly intuitive, and everything displayed is very clear/crisp; the other is CircuitMaker, tho' I've been leaning towards LTSpice. Good to know that it's a decent choice. I realize it's not a good substitute for the math, but I do think it's a good additional learning tool.

Thanks for the info!

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

For math I've never needed more than Excel or MS-Works. It can do really complicated things once you've learnt how a formula is entered (that tokk me a while).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:Iljwk.24920$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

[snip]

I'm still at the stage where my little old solar calculator suffices ;) But it's interesting that Excel can be used as you describe; I'll have to keep that in mind, since even my old (1997!) version of Excel does seem to be able to handle some fairly complex formulae.

THanks again,

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Excel 97 is perfectly fine. Once you have entered a formula plus entry fields you can use it over and over again. Very handy if you have to play games such as "How can I achieve this cutoff frequency with the catalog inductors and capacitors I've got?".

The next step would be a VBA interface to some USB measurement toy, RS232, a meter, whatever. And yep, even old Eccel 97 has VBA built in.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:qgywk.19281$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

Good idea! I've used it for spreadsheet calculations, but I hadn't thought of entering other formulae that I use over. Esp. for the ones I don't use frequently, which are harder to remember.

Clever - thanks ;)

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger