OT: Config.sys problem

I get an "XMS init error" message _only_ when i try UIDE.SYS for a driver; NONE of the other drivers (OAKCDROM.SYS, CYBIDE.SYS, ATAPICD.SYS, CDR810.SYS, IDECD.SYS, or GSCDROM.SYS) present that problem. Naturally, none of them can find my SATA CD/DVD drive.

I have fiddled with my Config.SYS file to maximize "goodness" of the XMS memory to no avail.

I need to get UIDE.SYS to work. Help?

** my Config.sys ** SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P /E:512 DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:on DOS=HIGH,UMB DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE noems DEVICEHIGH=C:\UTIL\UIDE.SYS /D:UDVD1 rem FILES=50 is useless for pure DOS programs (like dBASE3+) FILES=50 rem default STACKS=9,256 BUFFERS=40 LASTDRIVE=Z ** end file **
Reply to
Robert Baer

Get a copy of 386MAX.

Reply to
Don Y

Have you done the HIDE.SYS /? or /HELP to get a possible list of switches ?

It seems to me that when doing high memory loading there was a "SWITCH" charactor you had to do for the driver.

Reply to
M Philbrook

FreeDOS ?

It says use XMGR.sys before UIDE.sys

Martin Riddle

Thanks, i will see f i can find it and then try it. What is puzzling, is that around 10 years ago, i did not have to use any of the tricks you see in the CONFIG.SYS file. I lost that original file and the original AUTOEXEC.BAT and had to start from scratch - not remembering much if anything about the contents.

Reply to
Robert Baer

For all practical purposes, there is no "help" have 4 good reference books, and wasted hours online; ZERO mention concerning XMS init. Since i opted to not use "hide", a /? for that would not be relevant.

As far as a "SWITCH" character,i saw no mention of anything like that EXCEPT a sample that had /testmem:off; i altered that to hopefuly cause XMS to be initialized via the ASS-u-ME-ed testing.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Seems that UIDE.SYS is also from FreeDos. Present source is more recent (and slightly larger) than what i had. These maybe the solution!

Thanks!

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • used UDVD2 driver--^^^^