Widget manufacturing

So I have a widget designed that I've been thinking about getting manufactured. The original goal was to have the layout done by the end of August for a convention, but it looks like that may not happen. So might as well take the time to do it right.

The board would be small, double sided probably, about 4 by 6 inches, with nothing particularly exotic. I'd be looking at a quantity of maybe

500 to a thousand. I'm also looking at getting a unique enclosure made for the product.

First time I'd be doing something like this independently. What do I need to be aware of? Suggestions on companies to do this work? Thanks!

Reply to
bitrex

I want to know the answer too!

4x6 isn't a small widget these days -- if it's 4x6 with a few through- hole parts on it you may end up paying more for the board and the through- hole-ness than you do for the parts.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Mentioning what quality you're looking for would help -- consumer grade? Automotive? Medical or other immediately life-critical thing? I kind of assume that by "gizmo" you mean consumer grade.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The first would be any *liabilities* that you'd incur! :-/ You'd be surprised at what folks *will* do with "your product" and how the legal system may interpret your liability in each of those situations.

Reply to
Don Y

Yes, the latter.

The board might be able to be smaller, maybe 4" by 4" or something. Have to see, it's been a long time since I've done a layout.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah and what kind of "work" you want done for you.

Does the box plug into AC? (or external supply?) What kind of stuff is on the box? Display? knobs? Connectors? Art work?

To be honest, I don't know of any company that does this type of work.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If I can get the PCB made and a proper custom enclosure, the run is small enough that myself and my "work force" could probably handle the rest.

Reply to
bitrex

getting the pcb made is easy, afaict the cheap chinese prototype outfits will do 500 6x4 pcbs for ~$1500

what kind of enclosure you have in mind? can't use one of the millions of standard boxes?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm still not totally clear on what you need. Do you want an assembled PCB or a bare board you will solder?

A "proper custom enclosure" will cost you a *lot* of money. If you just mean a COTS box with some holes drilled, that is not so much. Still, small runs of machine work is not as cheap as PCB assembly because it is all manual, unless you can provide a control file for the CNC machine.

I would never think of hand assembling PCBs, but I would drill holes for the first 100 units I made. If you are really going to make 500 you might want to pay the NRE costs for automating it. Maybe even for 100.

--

Rick
Reply to

getting end plates laser cut and engraved for something like this:

doesn't cost much even in low volume

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

What's 'not much' these days?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'd like an assembled board using SMT components.

The enclosure doesn't even have to be metal, the widget will be battery powered. But I'd like to have an enclosure made that suits the "aesthetics" of the project, instead of just throwing it in a standard Hammond box. If it would not be prohibitively expensive.

Reply to
bitrex

There are lots of different boxes available off the shelf. 'suits the "aesthetics" of the project' is not much of a description. A fully custom plastic enclosure is many 10's of kilobucks for the mold unless you can get one printed perhaps. I have no idea what that would cost. Do you have a concept for your case?

Once you have the design for the board ready for manufacturing I can recommend a manufacturer in PA who is good to work with. They also do package assembly and can help you with that if you give them a parts list. They can't help you with the design and I doubt they have much insight to the various sources of cases.

I'm also not clear on your level of expertise in getting boards made. Should I assume you are familiar with that and are looking more for info on suppliers and business arrangements?

--

Rick
Reply to

I do. 3D printed would be fine, I've seen some ads for services like that maybe? I'll have to take a look again to see what's available.

That would be great.

I've had several one-off PCBs made, but never anything in quantity.

Reply to
bitrex

I've never gone down this route, but if they are like most other service businesses they will need a design file to give a quote. But who knows, maybe they have a simple price structure.

Niche Electronic Technologies, 201 Dykeman Road, Shippensburg, PA 17257

717.532.6620

Mention my name. They just quoted another batch of boards for me. I highly recommend you let them do the procurement of parts. It saves a

*ton* of work and I don't think the added cost is much. It is so much more convenient I don't even bother to check for myself anymore.

The PCB is no big deal. To have parts assembled you will need an XYRS file as well. Are you familiar with that?

The PCB fab they use clips the silkscreen layer around the pads and via holes. You need to give plenty of clearance. I'm discussing this issue with them now.

--

Rick
Reply to