OT: China's President Xi Threatens the West (2023 Update)

I knew there was something different about this guy and now he's ditched the Western style loung suits and started dressing up like Mao. I smell trouble coming.

IOW: "Don't stick your nose into it when we invade Taiwan."

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

China has every right to defend themselves, and they have a lot of history of being invaded by other countries in the recent past - they remember and the bosses play on that.

He did not say he was invading Taiwan, however as they consider it a province at some point they may get noisier about it. Taiwan would put up a good fight and the US and other countries in the area may get involved, so China isn't really that interested - but it does make for political posturing.

The Chinese communists are no more communist that you are. They are dictators with a dictators mentality. Eventually they will be overthrown by their own people as the people learn how coddled the political party members are...this is why Tiananmen Square (四五天安门事件) in 1989, and other incidents are hushed up by the gov. - they can't face the light of day. The US, Canada, and other democracies expose their past and learn from it, the Chinese government won't. Sooner or later this house of cards falls down, like every other tin-pot system.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Everyone in the crowd dare not clap and yippee, lest they very possibly might be arrested.

The CCP "controls" their people more and more all the time.

Not all of the people of China go along with the CCP's ways.

Reply to
boB

CCP uses capitalism to control the few elite, and communism for the rest. As long as the selected few are gathering wealth, they go along with the suppression of the population.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Really? When they say we won't be bullied you take that as a direct threat to Taiwan? I guess that's why deplomacy is so difficult. I would never have understood that to mean anything other than they won't be bullied. How do you know it doesn't mean they are going to invade Japan or Korea? Or maybe the US directly?

Reply to
Rick C

I think this post shows a complete lack of understanding of the Asian continent. The culture is very different and they are much more amenable to a strong government. Here in the US we can't even tolerate the government keeping track of our vaccinations or orders to not spread a pandemic. The majority of China support the crackdowns in Hong Kong because they see Hong Kong as being disruptive, wanting more than they should expect as part of society.

China is not the weak country you seem to think they are. They are on the ascent with much popular support and will not be overthrown for a long time to come.

Reply to
Rick C

Here is the invasion plan:

Ed Lee

We aren't talking about the nation state, but rather the Communist Party of China, which does seem to run the nation state.

China isn't going to be overthrown. The Communist Party of China learned a lesson from the Russian Communist Party - which was - and are raising the living standards of the country as a whole. They may yet get the idea that they can run the country more efficiently if they open up the political process enough to allow the existence of more than one political party and let non-Party organisations to go after corrupt civil servants who exploit their position for personal profit.

Of course the Russian and US examples show that this may not work too well.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

That would make no strategic sense. Taiwan must be secured and occupied before there can be any such wider aggression. Otherwise the US and others would enjoy the benefits of the perfect offshore 'aircraft carrier' for a necessary build up of forces prior to launching a counter-attack.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Indeed. It almost resembles a feudal structure. Better, in fact, as the ecstatic peasants in the clip clearly have no idea they're being exploited and oppressed.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Famine doesn't seem to have killed anybody in China since Mao died, or anybody in India since the British left. As John Larkin likes to point out, this has more to do with agricultural technology than particularly good government.

makes interesting reading. The fourth figure shows life expectancies for selected countries. I had to add the US - where the increase in life expectancy has stalled - and China - where it is still going up rapidly.

The Chinese have got quite a lot to be happy about. Representative democratic government would an added extra bonus, but the US population gets by without that too.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I'll be 80 in December. In the U.S. I am about 1 year over life expectancy. But all I have to do is move to Canada and get an additional

2 years. Bye, y'all.

Reply to
John S

+1

Exactly my thoughts.

Reply to
John S

Life expectancy in China does seem to be remarkably short, though, for anyone who questions the government!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom