OT: Camille rocks

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

A friend of mine posted a link on Facebook the other day, where some internet feminist recounted an experience she had in a restaurant. She was wearing some type of very bright and gaudy dress, and two other women seated at another table took notice, laughed, and made some under their breath comments. Eventually one of them attempted to surreptitiously take a picture of the woman in the dress; at this point she confronted them.

Her hypothesis to the underlying cause of this encounter was that it was the result of "internalized sexism due to patriarchal standards of behavior."

So when two women make fun of another woman, it's still men's fault.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Camille talks fast and makes a lot of points... one being that universities no longer teach kids to think. She calls the situation incurable, hopeless. I've seen the effect big-time in recent job applicants. It's scary. My latest hire is a young woman who went to engineering school in Mexico. All the local applicants were certificated airheads.

Camille's a hoot.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On 3/21/2015 12:05 PM, John Larkin wrote:from her

I always enjoyed Camille when she was on talk shows many years ago. To listen to her ideas and then say she voted for Obama is disconcerting to me. It will take me a couple days to recover from her gesticulating and the volcanic flow from her very well rounded, educated mind.

gasp Mikek sigh

amdx

I sent a copy of that "basic EE test" that you posted a while back, the one involving just a BJT and an emitter resistor, to friend of mine from IRC who is a computer science major at a big US university. He gave it to three of his friends in the EE department - one working on a BS, the other working on masters, and the other working on a PhD.

The PhD student nailed it, but the other two were hopelessly wrong. The comp sci student actually made a better guess at it having probably only had exposure to to electronics in a physics class or an embedded systems class or something.

It's like the EE version of FizzBuzz, which is a basic competency test for programmers. It's rather scary that two out of three in this admittedly small sample didn't pass.

These guys will probably go on to have jobs in the industry eventually, while I try to do my best having not completed college (due to factors beyond my control.) One tries not to be too bitter.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The woman is blithering...just as likely to see her as a case study for something or another in the DSM.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I knew you'd disapprove of Camille. That wasn't much of a prediction: you disapprove of everything.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Awesome. Don't agree with everything, but we need more like her.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Nice, I wish she wasn't so reserved. :^)

The current notion that everyone should go to college, seems crazy to me. Along with a hundred other good points. Her views on Hillary are refreshing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't know about the USA but in Australia, about 40% of the people who st art a university education give it up before they get any kind of degree.

The success rate is higher for the people who emerge from secondary educati on with very good results - about of them 95% emerge with a degree and the

5% who don't turn out to be nuts of some kind or other - but the Australian example I knew about was for a medical degree, where out of 800 formally qualified applicants, only 200 would get in, and while the top 100 had the 95% chance of emerging with the degree, the next 100 were back at 60%.

In less popular subjects, where students who only just reached university e ntrance levels could still enroll, the minimally qualified group still had a 40% chance of emerging with a degree.

University education clearly isn't for everybody, but we obviously need bet ter tools for working out who is going to benefit from it, and some kind of scheme for moving people out of it - and into some kind of training that w orks for them - without labelling them as failures, or putting them off all knowledge-based work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It used to be, in the 80's, that our primary and secondary schools were crap but our universities were the best.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Crap floats to the top.

I now have a jaundiced view of my own alma mater, MIT... turning out robots who can't think... all they can do is recite from memory the stuff for the exam :-( ...Jim Thompson

The same people who were in primary and secondary schools in the '80s, are now running the universities. You expect magic?

Reply to
krw

crap

You get what you test for. If universities test their performance at inculc ating knowledge by subjecting students to written exams, they'll get studen ts who are good at passing exams.

You had to know what you were taught to be able to answer exam questions, b ut the particular skill of concocting a written answer that you could write out legibly in the fixed number of minutes available - 36 minutes for five

-question papers in a three hour exam - was something that I'd train myself for a few weeks before the exams.

By and large, scoring well on university exams isn't an good indicator that you learned all that you needed to know, and it's a very poor indicator of your capacity to apply what you'd learned to real life problems.

Very clever people can ace exams and ace real life problems, but there aren 't many of them, and they do tend to become prima donnas who can be difficu lt to accommodate into research groups and design teams anywhere except at the top and they tend not to know enough about the detail to do a good job there.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

start a university education give it up before they get any kind of degree.

tion with very good results - about of them 95% emerge with a degree and th e 5% who don't turn out to be nuts of some kind or other - but the Australi an example I knew about was for a medical degree, where out of 800 formall y qualified applicants, only 200 would get in, and while the top 100 had th e 95% chance of emerging with the degree, the next 100 were back at 60%.

entrance levels could still enroll, the minimally qualified group still ha d a 40% chance of emerging with a degree.

etter tools for working out who is going to benefit from it, and some kind of scheme for moving people out of it - and into some kind of training that works for them - without labelling them as failures, or putting them off a ll knowledge-based work.

The U.S. is pretty much a joke. It serves the interests of the universities to graduate mostly imbeciles so the industry groups can complain to Congre ss to throw even more money down the drain expanding and enriching the univ ersities. They fool no one, they are criminals.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

e crap

lcating knowledge by subjecting students to written exams, they'll get stud ents who are good at passing exams.

but the particular skill of concocting a written answer that you could wri te out legibly in the fixed number of minutes available - 36 minutes for fi ve-question papers in a three hour exam - was something that I'd train myse lf for a few weeks before the exams.

at you learned all that you needed to know, and it's a very poor indicator of your capacity to apply what you'd learned to real life problems.

en't many of them, and they do tend to become prima donnas who can be diffi cult to accommodate into research groups and design teams anywhere except a t the top and they tend not to know enough about the detail to do a good jo b there.

For the longest time, up until about 50 years ago, a major thesis was requi red for the Bachelor's degree. They had high standards at the time and thes e works were very well-written, fully annotated, very lengthy and thorough analyses of the subject matter.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

start a university education give it up before they get any kind of degree.

tion with very good results - about of them 95% emerge with a degree and th e 5% who don't turn out to be nuts of some kind or other - but the Australi an example I knew about was for a medical degree, where out of 800 formall y qualified applicants, only 200 would get in, and while the top 100 had th e 95% chance of emerging with the degree, the next 100 were back at 60%.

entrance levels could still enroll, the minimally qualified group still ha d a 40% chance of emerging with a degree.

etter tools for working out who is going to benefit from it, and some kind of scheme for moving people out of it - and into some kind of training that works for them - without labelling them as failures, or putting them off a ll knowledge-based work.

This is ecoming a common refrain:

ay-middle-class

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred