OT: Barking Dog Problem

28KHz-60W-Watt-Ultrasonic-Cleane-Transducer-Power-Drive-Module-110V-
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ISTR piezo tweeters being fairly wild below 20kHz as well

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snip

High pitch would cause them to whine and bark more.

My low freq solution hurts the poor doggy's ears (pain not damage)and once they associate it with their barking behavior they will stop like Pavlov proved. Every time. It also has the added effect of rattling the owner's windows and give him motivation to condition the dog to STFU as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

While working on it?

His damage happened while building it. Just turn it on very briefly indoors, while debugging. Just a brief burst, less than a second. Oops, permanent hearing damage.

Many tens of watts of ultrasound: don't listen to it even once, even briefly.

No, the permanent damage was from ?25K?

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Yes. Would you like to be the test subject?

Sigh. Only a fool would test it indoors, and with the speakers in the same room. The amp would be tested into a dummy load, not speakers. You can buy high power 50 ohm dummy loads. I've seen them rated at 800W. Parallel six of them, on a nice heatsink and you will have a 4800W load at slightly over eight ohms.

I found the specs on my speakers. They are rated to 27 KHz.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

All Chinese specs are wildly exaggerated in my experience however they do offer some good deals on electronics if you're careful in your buying expectations.

Anyhow I once DID build an ultrasonic device with 70 watt rated Pioneer piezo speaker and measured the drive current at 12 volts at 9 amps for short bursts of digitally generated dual swept sine waves.

In the audio spectrum it stunned in unimaginable disorientation, the ultrasonic being a dog lover I never did test out. However Pioneer 30 years ago seemed respectable in their claims.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Now I never thought to trigger on bark. Negative reenforcement, I like.

Reply to
Wayne Chirnside

Negative reinforcement does not work well. It will work for temporary changes, but not for permanent changes.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

:

anges, but not for permanent changes.

the only thing it'll do is wind the dog up big time. And likely permanently injure the dog. And anyone else that gets in the way. And if the owner eve r twigs, quite likely engage their unbridled rage. And open the OP to crimi nal charge. In all a truly stupid idea. Sorry but it is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why is that negative reinforcement and not positive?

--

Rick
Reply to

Negative is when you want an animal (person) to stop doing something. Positive is when you want them to do something.

If you wanted to teach the dog to bark at something, you give them a treet when they bark at the correct thing. That would be the positive .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know what positive and negative reinforcement are.

"Negative reinforcement occurs when the rate of a behavior increases because an aversive event or stimulus is removed or prevented from happening."

"Positive reinforcement occurs when a desirable event or stimulus is presented as a consequence of a behavior and the behavior increases."

I'm asking you how you know just how the dog will perceive the noise. What makes you think the noise won't make the animal bark *more*? Haven't you ever heard one dog start barking in response to another dog bark?

--

Rick
Reply to