OT: Barking Dog Problem

I simply left a note asking my neighbor to come talk to me about the barking dog and got yelled at when he came home. I called animal control which is handled by the sheriffs at that location. Seems the officer responsible for that duty is an animal lover and told me, "of course the animal barks". I gave up.

I was being woken up every morning by the dog barking when the owner left and put the dog in the back yard for the day. I don't know if the animal barked just at the time he was put out or if something disturbed him. But it lasted long enough to wake me up and that is not an easy thing to do before my 8 hours are up. So the dog was barking for some

10 minutes at least. I don't get why this didn't bother everyone in the townhouse cluster.
--

Rick
Reply to

It's stupid to deal with the dog in a high density neighborhood. And if it' s not the dog, it will just be something else. The more modern and intellig ent approach is to soundproof. Most of the noise energy is coming through t he windows, replace your windows with soundproof windows of approximate STC 50 rating, you won't hear a thing. I am assuming this is a nighttime bedro om situation, depending on style, it shouldn't be more than a few $K. Keep the receipts for capital gains.

n-shut-out-noise

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sometimes things get reversed and the dog gets to complain.

I'd be pissed too!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yeah, well, when Stravinsky premiered "Rite of Spring" in Paris in 1905 or whenever it was, apparently the whole audience did the same thing!

Reply to
bitrex

I need to find me an outdoor-qualified horn tweeter, then feed it with

10-20W of warble around 25kHz >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Personally, I like Stravinsky, and "Rite of Spring"... maybe even a little Schoenberg... but Berg and Bartok :-( ...Jim Thompson

10 to 20 watts? Is that enough power? How far is the dog and what is the attenuation of air per meter at 25kHz?

Mikek

Heck, just record the IMAM and play it back for the offending neighbor.

Reply to
amdx

Diagonally adjacent. Google Earth on us, we're in the corner cul-de-sac lot. If it needs 100W I'll give it 100W >:-} ...Jim Thompson

And the object is to make your wife deaf? If you can get her to wear hearing protection to save her hearing, then you do not need the ultrasonics.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Perhaps it is just someone who understands the difference between a technical subject Usenet group, and Facebook. And no, a daft suggestion of using "ultrasound" does not make a pointless "I'm so important that the world needs to know what I ate for breakfast" post any more interesting. So your neighbour's dog barks. So what? Who the **** cares, except perhaps your other neighbours? Why make a post to an international newsgroup telling the world?

Reply to
David Brown

With a sharp stick.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Jim Thompson:

It's no different from fixing anything else, first you (or better, your neighbour) need to work out WHY the dog is barking. Once you know that you can start working on solutions. Your biggest problem may be getting co-operation from the neighbour - most reasonable dog owners don't allow them to make trouble. In the UK you could get a noise abatement order (eventually) - is there a US equivalent ?

MK

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Normally the owner hasn't a clue what to do, and opposes any real solutions due to said cluelessness and/or denial. So I'm not sure what any reasonable measures would actually achieve.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh yes. He was the first composer I loved when I was 13 or 14, but my favorites are evenly distributed through the periods from Bach to Respighi.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I thought they reacted by having an orgy. Maybe you're interpreting the word apoplectic broadly.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Willy Nelson is my favorite >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Like this? 20 @ 50W each would allow 1 kW of ultrasonics. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Phased array. Think of the gain that could be had.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Holy shit! That oughta to do it >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I bought a better deal awhile back. I got 50 of them for $39,95, delivered. Now I just need to finish designing that 2500W ultrasonic amp. I'll feed it from my HP3325A function generator, and set to sweep through the range that dogs can hear. I will use a bark detector to trigger it. On bark = one sweep, then switch it off.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell