OT: Antarctic ices sheets are loosing mass

ow,

about

ng silly

er the game

ing a bluff.

Sea level rise is going to happen relatively rapidly, when the Greenland or West Antarctic ice sheets slide off into the sea. Expecting the process to happen smoothly and predictably is ill-informed.

Expecting it have happened already is even more ill-informed. The whole poi nt about anthropogenic global warming is that it is happening slowly enough that we have the chance to take action to slow it down and possibly even a rrest it.

Sadly, the real money is being made from digging up fossil carbon and selli ng it as fuel, which is the engine driving anthropogenic global warming. It 's profitable enough for it make commercial sense for the people doing it t o spend enough on denialist propaganda convincing enough to influence gulli ble twits like John Larkin that it isn't actually happening.

There are a lot of gullible twits around - almost half the US voters went f or Donald Trump rather than Hillary Clinton - and while Lincoln may have be en right about not being able to fool all the people all the time, denialis t propaganda has been effective enough to keep the fossil carbon extraction running flat out for a lot longer than it should have been able to do.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

some wacky, disjointed questions

Location, location, location, as the real estate folk say.

They aren't. Yeti sightings mean their range used to include the Himalayas.

Why are crop yields up so much?

Where? Which crops? How much? Since when?

They'd rather not..

Same as 'why does it still rain' during weather in negative Celsius.

Who is 'we'? International negotiations on scarce resources border on warfare.

That's just as true if you say 'never' instead of 'always'. Show me a published profit report by a doomsday predictor.

Reply to
whit3rd