OT: Antarctic ices sheets are loosing mass

The Nordic countries have a common AC network extending from north of the Article circle to mid-England latitudes. This distributes the wind production quite well.

Or Russian AC network.

The Baltic states are going to separate from the Russian AC net to connect to Central Europe AC net through Poland.

Reply to
upsidedown

.com:

vg

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

e:

e have

ly

that,

tput

tical.

t the

on the

rgy

red giant (if we haven't worked out how to stop the process by then).

he can experience the ice age that he seems to expect to start tomorrow?

John Larkin's kind of logic, transporting people like him to Antarctic woul d work out equally well. Probably better for the rest of us than him but th at merely my non-denialist opinion, and thus irrelevant.

s admirable chemical feedstock for making more complicated chemical compoun ds.

ines that are too small to be as thermodynamically efficient as power stati ons - even hybrid cars offer better fuel efficiency that straight gasoline guzzlers.

what it would take to get "it starting to get cold and dark".

red giant - which is about 4.8 billions years int the future - and survive that before it got cold and dark enough to make nuclear power necessary.

John Larkin keeps on making this claim, and I keep on pointing out that he is wrong.

ep1&type=pdf

makes the obvious point that we are not going to flip back into an ice age when the atmospheric CO2 concentration is above 280ppm.

There is an academic argument that the current interglacial might have been a long one, even if we hadn't pushed up the the atmospheric CO2 level, but since we have it isn't worth thinking about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

an

nvest

cost

ck-up

"Greenies" are rabid clinate fundamentalists. They are noisy, but there are n't many of them and nobody with any sense takes them seriously.

Politically they do seem to be on the left, but they are a little too irrat ional to fit into the mainsream left-wing tradition

I wonder what krw thought that he was saying there. Any transmission grid h as a capital cost, and you have to pay interest on that capital - and payi ng for the poles and wires represents half my electricity bill. Long distan ce links are expensive, but they are clearly worth having (which is why eve rybody has them).

Australia is one of them. In Europe there is a 730km link under constructio n to run across the North Sea from Norway to the UK.

Te Germans were thinking about building solar farms in North Africa and run ning a link across the Mediterranean through Italy and Switzerland to Germa ny.

It seems to mean direction of current flow in this context.

So is 10GW. The 730 km North Sea link is planned to carry up to 1.2 GW. The Basslink in Australia is 370km and carries 0.5 GW (with short term - up to 4 hour - peaks to 0.63 GW.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Lefties. The destroyer of countries and killer of millions.

Reply to
krw

Righties have done well too. Psychopathic politicians from both ends of the political spectrum have killed lots of people and wrecked numerous countri es.

Trump doesn't seem to have killed all that many people yet, but his ignoran t enthusiasm for trade wars definitely seems to be putting a crimp in the g lobal economy. He claims that he is protecting American jobs but that parti cular medicine puts Americans out of work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

more explaining, less complaining.

Jasen Betts

Facts, man, facts. I know lefties don't care about such details.

Reply to
krw

Krw doesn't actually know anything - he has just got fixed convictions, whi ch he can't correct, even when they are flat out wrong.

One of them is that world can be divided into righties and lefties - or rig hties and wrongies in his toy universe.

He wouldn't recognise a detail if it bit his behind, but he thinks that he can get away with complaining that other people don't respect the fine deta il in his delusions. It makes him look like the idiot that he is, but he's not equipped to recognise this, or anything else that hasn't already been p rogrammed into his tiny world view.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

For those interesting in HVDC link control, take a look at

on page 16 figure 2.4.1b is the CSC topology I was referring to in an earlier post. Note hat the SCR module polarity is opposite at each ends of the line.

When powered from the left side, the left SCR module acts as an ordinary 6 pulse rectifier producing a positive line voltage. When powered from the right side, the right SCR module generates a negative voltage on the line. Some care is needed when switching power direction so that the stations are not trying to force the line into opposite polarity.

No such problems with VSCs.

Reply to
upsidedown

"Some states could suffer the coldest air in a generation, the National Weather Service said."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Then you need to rethink; it's called 'climate change' for a reason, and with record high average temperatures, AND extreme cold, it means BOTH extremes will whammy the fields, flocks, fisheries that are your food sources.

Oh, you're on the left coast? No cold for you, then, it's local to central/east US.

Reply to
whit3rd

John Larkin hasn't worked out that global warming comes with changes to global weather patterns, and that average warming can coexist with brief unusually cold episodes in particular places that reflect unusually larger excursions in polar air-streams.

He probably never will. His capacity for critical thinking and joined-up logic never seems to have been developed - Tulane may be to blame, but the Florida secondary education system may not have given them much to work with.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The reason is that "global warming" didn't follow the models.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No, the reason is that the single-parameter 'temperature' is the focus of the 'global warming' phrase, and entire multiparameter weather systems are expected to diverge from historic norms.

Things like hurricane growth, flooding in Pakistan, heatwaves in Moscow, aren't all covered by 'warming' but are by 'climate change'.

Reply to
whit3rd

Be terrified. That's what they want.

lunatic fringe electronics

The warming of our planet is not about terror, or about word choice, or about 'them' or 'what they want'. It's real, and as big as our planet. Being silly doesn't help. Set the inconclusive hints and suggestions aside, in poker the game is about the cards. Everything else is important only when you're running a bluff.

Reply to
whit3rd

That's what John Larkin's favourite denialist websites him.

No serious advocate of the reality of climate change wants to terrify anybody. They just want people to recognise that it is happening and starting doing stuff to slow it down and possibly even reverse it.

Terror isn't usually a useful emotion - it can motivate people to do stuff quickly, but it doesn't help them think about what they are doing.

Climate change is a slow-moving disaster, and concern is quite enough to motivate the deliberate actions that should be being carried out now.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Wrong. There are lots of models, and the climate change observed so far fit s most of the them which happen to predict much the same sorts of trajector ies.

The IPCC reports spell this out

You need to read up on the Younger Dryas

which happened when the world as a whole was warming at the end of the last ice age, but the Gulf Stream got turned off for 1300 years in the process.

"The change to glacial conditions at the onset of the Younger Dryas in the higher latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere, between 12,900?11,500 calendar years BP, has been argued to have been quite abrupt.[12] It is in sharp contrast to the warming of the preceding Older Dryas interstadial. It has been inferred that its end occurred over a period of a decade or so,[1

3] but the onset may have even been faster.[14] Thermally-fractionated nitr ogen and argon isotope data from Greenland ice core GISP2 indicate that its

Dryas[12][15] than today. "

Quite a bit of local cooling while it lasted. The film "The Day after Tomor row" seems to have pinched the idea (not that I've seen the film).

Bill Sloman, Sydney

.
Reply to
bill.sloman

Why is the West Side Highway still above sea level? Why are polar bears thriving? Why are crop yields up so much? Why aren't billions of Indians and Americans now starving? Why does it still snow in England? Why haven't we run out of oil or gas or copper or cobalt?

Doomday predictions have always been profitable, and they are now running at industrial scale. There's a lot of money and power involved; that distorts everything.