OT: Andrew Breitbart Dead

...Jim Thompson

"Obama detractor dies suddenly"

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yep. It smells. But, so far, they're saying natural causes. ...Jim Thompson

Naturally.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I hope they do an autopsy. There are drugs that mimic/cause heart attack. ...Jim Thompson

Now who is it that is being naive.

"son"? I'm probably old enough for _you_ to be _my_ son... I had my

18th birthday celebration yesterday :-)

He had a way of unearthing vile stuff about leftists... and I suspect you're a leftist. ...Jim Thompson

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding.

you would *seriously* propose that an assassination is even remotely possible? OMG...

This ain't Russia, son.

Brietbart wasn't even worthy of being called a polemicist. Now maybe an intelligent conservative commentator will take his place.

yeah, right.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Hey Jim, I meant to wish you a happy birthday but a sudden thunderstorm blew up the transformer supplying my neighborhood and I was without power for some 18 hours. And those 18 hrs just happened to cover that period when it was both Feb 29 for you and before bedtime for me.

I guess I have a knack for remembering birthdays and the fact that yours is on Feb 29 makes it easier to remember. Anyways, I hope you had a good time with the grandkids :-)

Reply to
Pimpom

Thanks! Indeed! Five of the 8 grandkids are older numerically than I, and they enjoy that immensely.

Actually getting a little scary... one already graduated from college, two as sophomores in college, another into college next year!

I could be a great grandfather in no time. ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

I suppose there could be an intelligent conservative commentator, but I can't think of any. William Buckley could certainly write as if he was intelligent, but an intelligent man would never have written "McCarthy and His Enemies".

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Quite an eventful day. Breitbart said he had a damning video on Obama. I hope it still comes out.

Reply to
brent

Gotcha.

Closer every day though.

Businesses are dropping employee coverage en masse. Asked yesterday about the promise Obamacare would let you keep your plan, Sebelius (Obamacare czar) said oh well, the private insurance industry had been in a death spiral anyhow.

h-spiral

Meanwhile the President thinks his law lets him humiliate Catholics at his pleasure. The First Amendment matters not. He would also command insurance companies to give things away free, violating the takings clause. (no taking without just compensation)

So yes, it's a rogue government. They can do pretty much anything.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hey Happy Birthday. Enjoy Scenic Rochester ;)

Martin Riddle

Thanks!

Rochester is not bad, as long as you're indoors...

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

I heard that also. We can all hope. ...Jim Thompson

There is close to record lack of snowfall this year in Western/Central NY state. Rochester is at something like 1/5 of normal, IIRC, there were some signs or something on I90 last week when I drove past.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Putin is looking more like an American president every day. Russia does seem to be evolving into another country where the golden rule is that the people who have the gold makes the rules.

Since the private health insurance industry charges half as much again per head for health care as the French and German systems, which seem to deliver the same quality of health care to everybody that your system only delivers to the fully insured, there's clearly something wrong with it. If it wasn't a death spiral, that sort of gouging should have put it into one.

Presumably you mean "the interim final regulation in the Affordable Care Act that would require Roman Catholic=96affiliated hospitals and agencies to pay for insurance of abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization, and contraceptives for their employees, gratis,"

Are their employees all supposed to be Roman Catholics?

If any organisation could opt out of this particular cost just by declaring themselves Roman Catholic it might make the Roman church more popular, but insisting that every organisation offers all its employees the same level of medical insurance isn't exactly "humiliating" the church. Democracy works on the basis that the laws passed by the majority apply to everybody, even to the minorities who don't happen to like them. And one wonders where the "gratis" comes from - health insurance costs money, and it seems odd to claim that part of the package covered is "gratis" when the rest obviously isn't.

One wonders what "commanding insurance companies to give things away for free" actually involves. Googling on the phrase suggests that the current US administration is insisting that every health care insurance policy has to cover the costs of contraception. Where I come from, if something is a prescription drug, prescribed by a medico, health insurance pays for it (or a least starts paying for it when your total prescription drug bill for the year gets over some "own risk" threshold - as mine has done for some years now).

Since the costs of contraception are then part of the risk that the health insurance companies are covering - in exchange for the money they collect for providing this cover - it's difficult to see how this corresponds to "commanding insurance companies to give things away for free".

Since providing contraception is cheaper than providing abortion or medical care through a pregnancy, presumably the insurance companies are happy about this, and won't be feeling that they have been ripped off.

As an example of rogue government, this doesn't really stack up. If the Roman Catholic Church is throwing its weight about because it doesn't like it, this might be an example of a rogue minority holding its breath until it turns blue in the face, but only a right-wing nitwit of a Tea Party level of inanity would get excited about it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's a Foghorn-leghorn-ism. And among typos, that is a really good one :)

Dunno - it's maybe too regional. And it's intended to be somewhat self-deprecating - it's like an eye-roller.

He's out of that Drudge bunch. Meh. Essentially they're hyperventilating gossip mongers. When I've read breitbart's work, it became pretty much clear he didn't know much but was able to be loud.

I have never, for example, heard or read him referring to Edmund Burke.

No*, I just don't like fallacy-mongers. Compared to say, Cal Thomas, breitbart wasn't worth bothering with.

*i generally resist classification.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

yeah, well - 60+ years of that insanity is probably enough. Sucks to be aging now ( and I am ) but it couldn't last.

It was headed for one. Obamacare was a moronic attempt to bend the cost curve of Medicare down. Nice idea*, the execution was unbelievably bad.

*for some, anyway - Those guys, the Suits who think planning fixes everything...

Okay then. That's the sort of stuff

it never has...

That's not that much, really. Insurance will be asking for a bailout, so it ends up defaulting into a public goods problem.

Same sh*t different day...

but we don't *do* assassinations here. Not of "journalists".

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Back in '79 (the year of the Lake Placid Winter Olympic Set) I hitch-hiked through Rochester and there was 13" of snow on the ground.

Big tractor trailer picked me up. The guy was a cool dude.

He says "Yeah, the trailer is full, but it only weighs 3000 Lbs."

I couldn't believe it. Then, he says "Empty plastic gallon jugs, stem to stern, floor to ceiling."

And then the guy goes on to give me the best inertial physics instructional I have ever had. He went overall the aspects of when and why and where a trailer and tractor can'jacknife'.

Seemed like a cool downtown area too though, when I traversed through there in a different ride that day.

Reply to
SoothSayer