What the hell is Google up to now?

Suddenly,

no longer allows one to search Usenet and Google groups. Looks like one has to use some crap called Google Blog search.

Also, this group sci.electronics.design cannot be searched in the usual manner anymore. What the hell are they up to?

Reply to
oparr

Their website now crashes my browser (iCab 2.9.9).

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

There used to be dejanews and, IIRC, another archive. They bought dejanews. Is there no other archive now, even if it doesn't go back all the way? So much is done for free thanks to ad revenue, but not this apparently.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I posted something similar awhile back:

I didn't seem to find much support for my contention.

I now use this;

Pretty easy to figure out.

I used the bottom section to search out the first link I posted above. I put in search term, group name and it popped right up.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Dejanews basically died in 1998, so...

So avoid Google as much as you can.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I don't know. I used to put a '+' before words so I got results with all words and not just one of them. That is gone as well which makes the results useless.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It uses the old familiar Google Groups search engine. Wonder how long that capability will last. Thanks!

BTW, did you try your first link?

Reply to
oparr

No, I'll try again.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Hmm..My cab crashes (into the) wall..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I wasn't even able to log out of google!

this website now works again, but

at the top says soon tobe gone, go to .... and then end up with a blank page for hours with this in the browser's address:

Reply to
Robert Macy

I thought google bought their archive.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

They did. Then Google bought their ashes. :(

Michael A. Terrell

They did, but it had been down for a while. I seem to recall that it had pretty much just failed not long before.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I've always (since DejaNews was bought) used

No messages about it going away/changing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Things seem to be in a state of flux.

was the familiar groups search "home", it's now something different as of

3/1/2012. AFAIK, there was nothing informing us of this change. You'll need
to get there now. Advanced search and preferences are still available. What happens next with anything starting with
is up in the air IMO.
Reply to
oparr

Okay, ignore the above. Things seem back to normal as of yesterday.

Reply to
oparr

when you click on the new groups in the blue bar, do they work for you?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Sometimes. One moment the links work as expected, the next they don't. It's all screwed up at the moment. Probably, wait a few days till they get their act together.

Reply to
oparr