Thanks Jim Thompson

I was lookinig for the Shotgun Microphone construction PDF and found it wasn't where it used to be.

A bit of googling led me to your site where ascan in PDF format of the original article resides.

Thanks for taking the trouble to make articles like this available for posterity.

Reply to
Amigo

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:01:52 +1000, "Amigo"

You're quite welcome! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Phoenix, AZ, a city noted for many civic-oriented inventions such as automated garbage collection, has added a new tool to its Fire Department safety equipment... addressing problems with accidents involving so-called Smart Cars: A Hydraulically Assisted Spatula.

Cool!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I note that Genome allowed his site's registration to lapse and that, while some of the verbiage is accessible via archive.org, all the graphics are long gone.

Same deal for the content of Reg Edwards' site after he passed.

Have any of the other older silverbacks made plans for their content into the distant future?

Reply to
JeffM

Wow - Lafayette part numbers! That name brings back some memories. Used to love rooting around there as a kid.

Reply to
JW

All of the software apps that Reg G4FGQ developed and made available to us are still alive at

A friend obtained the right to keep them available to the public from Reg's daughter shortly after his death. Reg published a veritable plethora of amateur radio and RF related software over the years. As a tribute to his expertise, thoroughness and accuracy, I've never encountered a bug in any of the software that I've used.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

In article , "Amigo"

Too bad it does not really work.

What the mike does is amplify sounds by resonance, but there is vertually no directionality. You need multiple in phase sounds to get directionality. The shotgun mike only has separate discrete sounds which do not combine in phase.

greg

Reply to
GregS

It's been too many years, but I'm sure it works.

Unless charge is not conserved anymore :-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

That law was recently repealed by Executive Order, I'm sorry to say. :-D

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Probably because it was misunderstood and/or misapplied by so many. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Charge is always conserved. If you think it isn't, you're either too ignorant (or obstinate) to understand where it went to or came from.

My post: "How many Coulombs can a 1mH inductor charged to 1A deliver?" was meant to elicit (?) some thought that would help lurkers understand that.

Instead it elicited obnoxious responses, even from the resident PhD.

'Tis a shame :-(

(?) For "markp", the resident illiterate ignoramus:

...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Yep. Also Olson electronics stores, and mail order from Allied Radio (Knight Kit!) and Burnstein-Appelbee and more; Newark electronics will call (call them up, order, and show up with cash, at age 14 they thought you were a runner for dad's shop). One of my bigger surprises was getting uA741 op amps (mil overruns and other surplus) at a surplus house in Mountain View for $0.50 each in the mid to late

1960s. And Motorola, NS, GE, RCA, TI, Fairchild and other semi. mfgs. making all kinds of experimenters kits. Growing up in silicon valley was great.
Reply to
JosephKK

(...)

I concur!

Olson Electronics in Santa Clara with the wide variety of weird contraptions cobbled together in the store.

How about Weatherbee Industrial Electronics on 4th St. SJ?

Haltek in Mountain View (Plymouth St?) before they moved to the other MV address on Linda Vista?

Mike Quinn Electronics in San Leandro... Several more.

A moment of silence please:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Not sure if i ever had been there.

Didn't make it in at either address

Out of reach range wise.

I hunted a LOT in surplus stores.

Reply to
JosephKK

I hung out at...

from 1958-1962. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

(...)

For a healthy dose of The Past, I recently visited a shop that has all the indefinable charm of the best of these great old stores.

Very much worth the trip. Actually saw young folks shopping there.

A hopeful sign for the hobby!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

YES! Looks like heaven.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That's better than "Gringo" :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Spice is like a sports car... Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

"Amigo"? That's an Arizonan you're addressing there, buddy. Have your ID ready. ;-)

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

But only if you're legal--illegals are exempt. :-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat