Way OT: Airfares

A month ago I flew United round-trip Phoenix-to-Rochester, NY, $331

Now it's ~$1K

Anyone have experience with the discounters, like Travelocity, etc? ...Jim Thompson

My round-trip -- Portland to Newark -- last week was ~$375, so I'd say $1k is definitely a fluke... although I also recall that when I was booking that flight, many of the trips were more like ~$500, annoyingly.

As far as I can tell, most of the mainstream guys like Orbitz (which powers travel.yahoo.com as well) and Travelocity are usually within

+/-$10 of each other -- it often boils down to how many junk fees they tack on. For general travel (as opposed to specialized routes such as vacations) I'm under the impression that Hotwire.Com and Priceline.Com are the only "real" discounters.

The catch with Hotwire is that they don't tell you the exact time nor airline until you commit to your (non-refundable) booking, so the airlines can discount tickets to them while at the same time tell you that you won't find a "published" rate better than the mainstream sites or booking with them directly. Priceline has you bid for tickets, which takes time (having a low bid rejected, increasing it for a second round, etc.), but can still get you significant discount if you want to play the game.

There's a web site --

-- where people post the deals they've obtained via either Hotwire or Priceline ; it can save a great deal of time and aggravation for well-traveled routes.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Thanks! Great info! ...Jim Thompson

SWA's Aircrash err AirTran has $227...

SWA itself flies into Buffalo; $205 & up. Free checked baggage.

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

I've seen only red-eyes.

That might work... as long as I don't hit another nasty snow storm :-( ...Jim Thompson

Syracuse is another possibility, but I90 is pretty boring (when it isn't terrifying) either way in that area.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

WOT Gorilla?

It's the oil.

They all use any excuse they can to jack prices, even before the reason given actually has an impact.

Reply to
SoothSayer

Yeah, but that price includes a free guitar breaking service.

Ed (I think it was JF who first posted that link a while back.)

Reply to
ehsjr

BUT..You ARE a criminal if you fly on an airline. The FED has seen to it that anyone that flies is an admitted proven criminal; TSA is the proof of that UN-constitutional approach. You are guilty, you have no rights,there is no trial and you get punished AT the site (by the TSA).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I keep requesting a female agent ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You will only get GOD

hamilton

What little flying i do i book through expedia.com. Works pretty well = for me.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk