OT Adventures at Fry's

Well, one of the office computers gave up the ghost, and so the PHB asks, "If you replace the motherboard, all the stuff on the drives will still be there, right?" "Right." "Well, get one." "Ok."

So, I call Fry's, since it should be the simplest, explain to the guy I want a motherboard, a processor, and some RAM. He says, Yup, we got it, it comes to $194.48 (or whatever), the boss gives me a check, and I trundle on up to Fry's. This order is supposed to be at Will Call. So I go directly to the checkout, give them my quote number, and the gal comes out with a motherboard. I asked, "Does this already have the processor and my RAM installed?" "Uh....."

It took almost an hour before they got their stuff together enough to find the parts that I'd ordered a couple of hours previously.

I wonder if that's where Radio Shack rejects go. ;-)

Now, of course, I have to stick the CPU & RAM in the MB, install it, and probably boot Linux Live to save all the crap from the system drive before I reformat it, but that _is_ my job, after all. :-)

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing the RED screen of death when I try to fire up the system with a new motherboard and the old system drive. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You ordered parts not something assembled right? However the complete order should be delivered thoe ;)

MS-Win tends to be "confused" about all new hardware it finds on the motherboard when being reinstalled. So in the end one might be forced to reinstall where a unix os wouldn't even been bothered.

RED? ..Guru meditation? :)

Reply to
pbdelete

Here at the Phoenix Fry's it's where the Burger King rejects go.

I've never before seen so many stupid people collected all in one place ;-)

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

It cuts both ways. I got some real bargains on WW sockets (10 cents each) because nobody there had any idea what they were worth!

However, I no longer buy any computer parts there due to my 'three strikes and you're out' rule on defective equipment.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Luhan wrote: > Jim Thompson wrote: > > On 17 Jul 2006 19:16:44 GMT, > > snipped-for-privacy@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid wrote: > >

The trick to Fry's is to do all your homework on your own and don't talk to them except for 'what aisle is ??? on ? ' But I don't think that trick is unique to Fry's, unfortunately. As Andy Rooney commented many years ago, If this is a service economy, why is it so hard to get good service?

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

It's like the Blue Screen Of Death, but red, and the message is terribly ominous - like "Help! I've been stolen and installed in the wrong computer!"

As it happens, when I got to installing this set in the existing case, it turns out it has no on-board VGA, none of my spare VGA adapters will fit in the provided slots (nor the one out of the previous computer), and it's only got *ONE* IDE jack! So, I put them back in the boxes, and went back to Fry's, and got my money back. Then, I went back to the components counter, and after waiting forever in line, got some droid who was able to help me. "I want one of these, one of these, and one of these," pointing. They have such nice displays there - I think it's not a good idea to buy stuff sight unseen. Finally got back, and I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning to slap in the new new MB etc. - I'm virtually exhausted from all that running around in all this heat.

But, on a brighter note, the parts I picked came to about $50.00 less than what the droid had put together for me, so I can tell the PHB, "Sorry about wasting all of that time, but I saved you fifty bucks!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise