Christmas ghost/mystery story - not OT

Kustom KPS PM300 mixer amp , 2005, owner lent to a church for some do and came back intermittant failure on both channels , now dead. There is some distinctive greyish chopped strand fibre laying about inside, not heaps of it but noticeable on otherwise new looking amp. Too coarse for asbestos and too fine for glass fibre and putting a clump lazily between DVM probes easily gives 10 to 30 ohms. Does carbon fibre look greyish rather than black ?

Only initial tryout and internal visual checks so far but ps , prea seem to be ok , but no o/p L or R. As no relay click over , I suspect uPC1237 SIL protector IC at the moment rather than failed 2x 150W Sanyo STK412-170 Hybrid module as both ch down, no burning etc. Not powered up exposed yet, tomorrow job. I'm a bit surprised no fan in this amp. I have relevant pinouts and PS DC on overlay, but any ideas on what the conductive stuff is / source? Don't spooksville use something like that to get taken into ventillation systems to knock out electronics?

N_Cook

Zinc whiskers?

Reply to
GregS

Get out your EMF Ghost meter and check for ectoplasm.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The guts of a blown-up electrolytic capacitor?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

and

some

of

and

Your thinking is conductive fluid now coating ordinary household type fibres of clothing etc? I'll try wiping some paper over a surface and removing the fibres

N_Cook

Some wet electrolytics had an absorbent paper layer to hold the electrolyte in contact with the foils. When they blew up (usually because, when we were kids, we chucked them into a bonfire) the paper layer expanded into something like the coating of fibres you have described.

Look around the board and see if there is an aluminium corpse to explain your ghost. (If the bang was a good one, the canister could be elsewhere and you will only find bits of electrode left soldered to the board.)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk