Only one EV charger at home?!

It's no hassle for a car, and admittedly it forces a motorcyclist to push the nozzle down to get the air seal.

It does keep a lot of gasoline vapor out of the air.

No, they are so stupid that some forecourts are completely unusable. The anti-theft in the car tank inlet triggers the auto shutoff. I no longer use those forecourts

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I never have a problem here. Sometimes it takes a second try to get the latch to hold, but that adds 2 seconds to a fillup.

Nice pic.

Oh, very quiet. This house is big, there is some distance. Different floor, and 4 doors between.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

If I power both plates, yes, otherwise, no.

That I have only 10A was not my choice, I inherited it.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

It probably is all a joint offer by the car dealer.

And no, it is not "simple" at all in a flat.

For starters, you need find an existing duct for the cable, and get permission to use it — comunal property, so maybe 40 other neighbours want to use that same duct.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Our suppliers are cleverer. They get more money from us without having to generate all that electricity. More profitable. :-p

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Same here, it is some kilometres out.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Here, you can not do that. The nozzle switches off if you take your hand off.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Yeah. Don't buy an American gasoline car, they explode every time they crash.

Seen on the movies :-PPPP

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Huge house and still only the equivalent of a single UK socket of power.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why do you live in a shanty town?

But you said you let go of the gas pump while it's filling. Two problems - people forget it's still in after they've paid. Not holding it means static - I've seen a video of a woman who rubbed her hands on her shirt on a dry day, then touched the pump handle, it sparked, and a gush of flames ensued.

So the filling isn't 4 minutes? I think it's a litre a second in the UK. Hardly slow enough to want to wander off. By the time I'd walked to the other end of the car and back it would be full.

It's not a hobby, it's a servant, like a satnav.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why doesn't it always just charge fully? Special things like using a cheap rate or charging slowly to save the battery should be an option. If no input, fill her up at warp 9.8.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On Tuesday, 18 April 2023 at 16:00:57 UTC-7, Commander Kinsey wrote: ...

It depends on the car:

With mine the timing of charging, to what level to charge, whether to charge immediately and at what rate are all programmable. It can also have different behaviour depending upon location. For example, when at home it will wait until the optimum time and be ready at the set time next morning. At a public charger it can start charging immediately.

It is also possible for the charging to be controlled by an external service over the internet: I subscribe to one called EVpulse where they pay me (albeit only a small amount) for the charging to be controlled by them to optimize the grid. Since there is often an excess of solar energy in the middle of the day or early afternoon it is useful to be able to use fleet of EVs as a controllable energy sink to manage the excess. They still guarantee that the car will be charged by the time I specify.

kw

Reply to
ke...

By law in the US the maximum rate is 10 US gallons per minute (37.9 liters). As I stood in a snow squall this afternoon, 8.2 gallons took forever.

Reply to
rbowman

If you're skiing in the mountains and driving back to Denver Colorado to catch a plane, that's when you set your charger to 50% at the chalet. Your "tank" will be full when you get to the airport, because "it is downhill all the way". If you use conventional friction brakes, the brakes can be hot.

With a BEV, you need to leave room in the "tank" for the downhill trip, and your constant applications of the regenerative brakes.

You adjust the charge level, for best battery (cycle) life, and also so that the regenerative braking will work (because it is "free" energy, when you use electrical-based braking).

Once the battery is 100% full, the car switches to using friction brakes.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

The liberal side of Oregon... I forget the exact number but if a county has fewer than X people, you can pump your own. Those counties, of course, happen to be in eastern Oregon. Unless they can sneak into Idaho some dark night and leave the libs to their own hell.

I'm heartbroken... I started my personal boycott of REI when they dropped the CamelBak line because CamelBak's parent corporation also happens to own some firearms related businesses. That was even before they jumped on the BLM bandwagon, iirc. You get what you ask for.

I can buy a CamelBak pack at Sportsmens Warehouse down the street -- along with guns and ammunition if I so desire.

Reply to
rbowman

On Tuesday, 18 April 2023 at 19:55:52 UTC-7, Bob F wrote: ...

Tesla's software does all that.

kw

Reply to
ke...

For a whole minute, so what? Do you get annoyed having to hold your mower while you mow the lawn?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I complained at one, she told me to hold the nozzle sideways, it kinda works. Only one pump there does it, must be set too sensitive. Shje said they'd had the engineer out, but his test equipment couldn't detect a fault.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey