Only one EV charger at home?!

Gas stations don't make me do all that. I can even go inside and pay cash.

My house just has a 60 amp fuse so no more than 15kW. Just as well that I have no intention of acquiring an electric car. The supply cable runs underneath the solid floors of the house according to the details I was given when I bought it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Smart meters are smart. They don't need to open them to reset them.

Carlos E.R.

Well, I have all of that, except that the kettle is plain, not electric, and the dishwasher has been broken for decades.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

We drink coffee.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

You call the electricity company and ask them to install a charging point in your garage. Install new or change anything necessary.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Me? Yes, on one of the rooms.

Yes, you certainly can have separate electrical house heating and air conditioning.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Oh, yes, water was free. You went to the river or the fountain to collect it. With a horse or a donkey if you were rich.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

At 3.6kW total, the AC would be using at least half that!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That would cost a fortune considering they have to lay new cable.

It will cost me £100 for the socket and a fiver for some cable.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Heated by?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My dishwasher and washing machine both use 2-3kW. That would be a bit of a problem in your house.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Smart meters are very recent. I was talking about the ones before then.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If the wire is thick enough, just stick a 100A fuse in it. They're a tenner on Ebay.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's the car making him do it, not the station.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So?

If you want more, pay more and get it.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Unfortunately, it's just what we got - we weren't buying, as the car is leased and the charger fitted for free. Fortunately the lease is at a much lower rate than a normal lease, as it is through Motability. If it was at full rate, we'd have been buying a second-hand petrol car.

Reply to
SteveW

But you do have to go to the gas station and not just park up on your driveway at the end of the day.

Reply to
SteveW

Non-smart meters do not have a limiter inside.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Not really. When it was working, we put it on then went to sleep. All the house was off except the machine.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.