Only one EV charger at home?!

Me, I can choose gas or induction. Or I can use the Nespreso machine.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

We only have one because we need two cars, my wife is disabled and so gets a much cheaper lease, and the other car is petrol and so can do just the odd local journey, infrequent long journeys and towing. Leaving the electric car for almost all journeys.

The supply cable may be fine. Mine was a 60A fused supply, but as soon as I upgraded from a fusebox to a modern consumer unit, the supplier uprated the main fuse to 100A - there was no need for a supply cable upgrade.

Reply to
SteveW

Less than the car. The typical flat here can not charge an EV without a new contract and installation, anyway. For one reason, 4 KW is not enough, and for another the garage is underground, the flat is not. You are not going to run a thick cable from level 5 to level -2...

No, as I don't have an EV myself I do not know the exact details.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

I pass at least one filling station on virtually every journey, so it isn't going out of may way.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

!!!!!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The whole idea of a house running on what the rest of the world uses as an extension cord is absurd. Are you sure you don't live in Ethiopia?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I saw a decent 2nd hand electric car for only 5 grand the other day. Perhaps the higher electric prices are putting people off?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And take a book to read.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

which are the ones I was referring to. By the time smart meters were installed, the concept of limiting isn't a thing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But only one of them. And not a quiet sleep.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

An induction hob using all the house's power at once.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No need for that modern shit, just have two fuseboxes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

After buying an electric car you won't have much left to pay for an electrician. I can't beleive people actually pay someone to do something as simple as fitting a charger.

Why not? And it won't be thick for 7kW.

Actually you can get 3kW chargers. Just don't run the dishwasher at the same time.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

On my Audi, the automation opens the little trap door over the gas filler when I push a button.

Maybe there's a phone ap that does that?

I park on the street.

Two gas stations are close to home and I can wash the windows while the tank fills up; all that takes about 4 minutes. I never have to wait for a pump to be available.

On a long trip, I don't even think about planning ranges or charge stops overlapping meals or whatever, or whether I can drive at some speed or run the heater. All that seems to amuse some people.

On Monday, 17 April 2023 at 17:35:44 UTC-7, Commander Kinsey wrote: ...

The charger is internal to the car.

The external module in the cable, that is often referred to a a charger, is a safety and control device that communicates with the internal charger to enable charging when the connection is safely made, to give information about the maximum current available and also provide a GFCI function. It is referred to as an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment).

The actual charging current is determined by the car and it will never attempt to demand more than the EVSE informs it as being allowable but it may take much less as determined by the charging algorithm or manual override.

The great majority of cars use the SAE J1772 standard

for the connector and EVSE protocol (Tesla does use a simple adapter to match the connectors in the US although their own protocol is virtually the same). There are variations of the connector for use in Europe, US and China.

The protocol uses a very crude PWM signal to indicate the allowable current from 6A to 80A.

kw

Reply to
ke...

People here park on the street and just run a cable over the pavement.

If you're talking about a petrol pump and not an electric charger, WTF are you doing leaving it filling unattended? That's how this shit happens:

And 4 minutes? What are you doing, filling up a lorry? I fill my 50 litre petrol tank in one minute. Tell your garage to get faster pumps.

A decent electric car goes over 200 miles, and tells you where a charging station is. And you can always add another battery pack.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Try it when the car is locked.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The cheap gas station here is not on my way.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, I do have a Y chromosone.

And a 3.2 liter V6!