BD131 Spice Model Wanted

Hi all,

It still amazes me after all the years LTspice has been around the standard parts library in it remains so tiny. I don't think this long- standing defect in otherwise very good program will ever be fixed. So like anyway, has anyone got a model for a BD131 NPN transistor they could post here? TIA folks.

CD

Reply to
Julian Barnes

I searched for it and found on the NXP site that it is EOL. I doubt that any further search will turn up a spice file for that device. I hope you have a bunch of them on hand.

Reply to
John S

It's here...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The lack of parts is not a defect of the program. Can't you find the model on the manufacturer's website? That's where the LTSpice distribution would get it from, anyway.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I provide a link... LTwiki of all sources... BUT LTspice historically only provides models for their own line of chips. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Wow! Great stuff, Jim! Many thanks for that.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Thanks for your inquiry! It lead me to discover that link ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

What's the highest 2N number now? 7500 at least. Then there are all the non-2N parts, the 2SKs and the BCXs and your BD thing.

Hardly a "defect" to not have 15,000 transistors in the library. And LTC isn't selling transistors!

Just pick something similar. Or create a model.

 Click to see the full signature

"Defect" was perhaps the wrong word. *Shortcoming* would be more accurate. It's only a minor peev, anyway. Mike E and Linear have done a sterling job on this project and deserve huge praise for their efforts.

I wonder if there's a simple way of taking the contents of that bulk file Jim pointed to and adding all those models to the existing LT library? Anyway, I've saved the *lot* to a thumb drive; a very useful resource indeed. :-)

Reply to
Julian Barnes

I saved them to C:\PSpice\DeviceLib\BJTs\LTwiki_BJT.lib

I wouldn't add them to an existing LTspice library because LTspice, during updates, overwrites some of the existing libraries... and encrypts many of those that haven't already been encrypted >:-}

I noticed that right away, and saved the unencrypted libraries "elsewhere" ;-)

To use that BJT library just include a "Spice Directive" in your schematic: ".LIB C:\Path(s)...\LTwiki_BJT.lib" ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Brilliant, Jim. I can't thank you enough for that. I may even burst into tears! ;-) Seriously, though: THANKS.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

I've been designing chips since before there was dirt to be older than... and began using a simulator while dirt was quite young ;-)

I have 111 directories of foundry-specific device libraries (models and subcircuits), and many of these directories have several subdirectories, for instance my X-Fab directory has 10 different processes.

Thus it is unwise to load every library... the time it takes AND there are multiple processes where devices have the same names.

So my library loading, in PSpice, loads only the common stuff, like passive components... then the schematic itself has the "Spice Directive" (*) for the library needed for that particular project.

(*) "Spice Directive" is an LTspice-specific terminology... in PSpice "LIB" is just a part, grab it, place it, then edit the path to suit. I use a utility "ClipboardPath" to copy a filename to the clipboard from Explorer, thus avoiding typos.

I use "ClipboardPath" for many tasks... for example I "Save As" a schematic, then "ClipboardPath" and automatically type it into the title block... avoids much pain and agony and errors. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Transistors aren't all that different, and any one transistor will have pretty sloppy specs anyhow. I usually just grab a library part with similar specs, unless there's something special going on.

 Click to see the full signature

I've done the same in the past, but it can be a real struggle finding something even broadly similar given the tiny range available in LT's standard library.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

It's usually not that difficult to find the manufacturer's Spice Model and copy it into the LTSpice schematic. This has the advantage that anybody looking at the schematic understands that you've used a manufacturer's spice model.

If the BD131 is EOL with NXP you'd have to find another manufacturer, but google can often find Spice models of old transistors on university web-sites and the like.

Jim's scheme for linking in a Spice model file takes up less space on the schematic, but you have to ship the file with the schematic, which can be more complicated.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

LT Spice has a lot of mosfets but not many bipolars. That sort of makes sense.

I mostly use mosfets these days. Bipolars tend to be dumb stuff like BCX70 or exotic microwave parts that wouldn't simulate well even if I had a Spice model.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature