O.T. Was this "engineered" this way?

I really want to believe the this is some sort of malfunction. I cannot see a sane minds approving plans for something like this.

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

No shit!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Approved by local politicians and the civil service so you are right, no sane minds were involved.

Reply to
nospam

I heard it was sponsored by local car repair shops :-)

--
Cheers ............. Rheilly P
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:35:50 -0400) it happened Boris Mohar wrote in :

No that is no malfunction. There was (and maybe still is) something like that is some parking lot I know. One car got shot against the roof! I was there with an other person next to me, he shouted 'stop stop', so I stopped, the thing went up in front of me, no problem. That guy then told me that story, well I would have stopped anyways there (I think).

The guys who design these things do not drive themselves likely, or get a bonus from the local car workshop.

And this was known at the highest level there too (one director got hit?).

People are just experimenting with designs, the insurance pays....

Brains are rare.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Certainly was. There are probably big signs saying 'Buses Only' or 'Authorised Access Only'.

Notice in the first two cases the poles dropped when the buses approached and went up after they passed. Then the dumb drivers smacked their cars into them. In the final case the first van through was a Royal Mail Van..... the second was some dodgy 'White Van Man'. The 'authorised' vehicles are fitted with equipment that makes the poles drop....... the others aren't...... smack!!!

Of course the local council might have relied on signs in the past but there are always some dumb f*ck drivers who choose to ignore them. It's a nice way of saying 'OY!!! No Access means No Access... STUPID!!!!'

Serves them right.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Where I once worked we had traffic barriers that were raised by inserting our ID cards into a reader. On one occasion I was on a motorbike and drove through just as a car driver was going through having opened the barrier. The detector to lower the barrier was triggered by my bike and as I rode off I saw in one of my mirrors the barrier come down on the bonnet of the car. 8-) Not wanting to get involved I parked the bike and went in to work. I don't know what transpired but it must have caused some damage.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

It's not that simple, your in traffic following a bus, the bus stops someone gets on or off and the bus continues and you continue with traffic. Then a pipe pops up out of the ground, obviously poor design. It happened enough that someone set up a camera to record the damage done, probably as evidence for there lawsuit. Also that bus blocked the view of the sign.

Reply to
amdx

Oh, come on.

Look at the first one with the silver car. It starts out illegally parked at the barrier then reverses.... the bus comes through and she tries to race in after it. Don't try and say she didn't know CRUMP!!!!! ;-)

The black car was accelerating to try the same trick...... I've almost got sympathy for the child but if Dad wants to play stupid he shouldn't take the family along for the ride. CRUMP!!!! ;-)

You can't mention signs because you can't see them in that picture. They are there.

Look at the one with the van. Bollards are up. Royal Mail van comes along and drops them. White Van Man tries it on..... CRUMP!!!! ;-)

You are not seriously saying he didn't know they were there and what he was trying to do? There's even a set on the exit side and he was approaching directly towards the ones he hit.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Ok, I'm convinced, this is good design. Probably not for typical humans though.

I don't understand your logic here, you say I can't mention signs because you can't see them in that picture, then you say they are there. huh?

Reply to
amdx

Ooooops, they're not in the picture so they are there but mounted somewhere else nearby.... just not in the picture. I suppose I've got the advantage because this footage is from the UK and....... I live here so I've seen these things.

You'll probably find that the one with the buses in it is on a 'Bus Lane' which will be marked as such. It also looks like the private vehicles can use the road going left to right in the picture but the buses are moving top to bottom. The cars look like they were turning into the juntion..... having ignored the 'No Left Turn' sign followed by the 'Buses Only' sign and the 'Danger Rising Bollards' sign........

It's all some sort of effort to favour public transport in congested areas. The average city street in the UK is two lanes wide. There is a good chance that the videos came from the local councils CCTV system.

DNA

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I'm killing my self over the one with the black car..... Click on pause and play until the bus passes. You can just see the black car coming into picture.... then the bollards start rising.

The driver spots them coming up and mashes down on the accelerator....

Booot! Vroooooooooooom!!!!!!!! CRUMP }:-)~~~~~

BRILLIANT

DNA

Reply to
Genome

see a

LMAO except for innocent injured people (passengers)

definitely lobbied by automotive repair industry.

I think i would have opted for indicator lights on road side and retracting tire shredders instead of poles at least then you do not cause bodily injuries

now they can replace traffic lights first couple inches are green (all cars can drive over this ) next couple inches yellow (only some cars can clear this) last part red (no cars can clear this part)

TFL

Reply to
robb

Yep- and the sudden stop nearly bounces that van into the pedestrians on the curb. This is hazardous all around. It would be better to have the motorized spikes and maybe a pliable zapper to thoroughly trash the offender vehicle. There is no necessity for bringing the vehicle to a total stop like that. The system investment can be salvaged by requiring the authorized vehicles to stop when they have passed the barrier indicated by a sensor light, making potential high speed tailgaters stop, then raise the poles to full height, and then flash a green giving them the okay to continue. You should produce a design and sell it to the barrier manufacturer. This is an opportunity.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Impact testing using a fully laden truck at 80 km/h:-

Brochure:

Said to be ideal for "pedestrianisation".

"As a result of the scheme, Durham has seen a remarkable 90% reduction in traffic levels."

"the only solar and wind turbine powered bollards in Europe"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've no sympathy with them ! They Ignore warning signs, drive like idiots, and try to beat the system ! Its always some third party that gets to pick up the pieces !

--
Baron:
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:12:13 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

We will soon see them used by terrorists on highways ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

...should be..

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Much easier is a double system, the front one only lowers when the back one has raised again.

Reply to
OBones

Can you describe it in words? I don't use flash, so youtube is useless to me.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise