Stray voltages. This was rather alarming.

David Farber
Los Osos, CA
Reply to
David Farber

They were lax in showing where they connected the ground in that video. I'm sure they did but where? How far from the pole. The light bulb shows it is not a high impedance source. I can see someone either planing a lawsuit or starting a business.

Mikek

amdx

Interesting story, I wasn't aware of that potential problem (sorry) for electrical leakage.

So, what some smart person needs to devise is a simple test device that can detect radiative leakage without contact...like the truck shown has, but inexpensive...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

Years ago someone died in town here, electrocuted by a grate on the sidewalk.

For the next bunch of months, the local power company sponsored the TV news ad nauseum.

That's culpability if I even seen it, because it is completely obvious they wanted the story downplayed lest public awareness be raised.

But it is not a coverup, and there are no conspiracies. It's called "need to know" and "cooperation". They cooperate to gain money and power over others, and we have no need to know about tnings that can kill us.

Everything is going according to plan.

Reply to
jurb6006

Years ago someone died in town here, electrocuted by a grate on the sidewalk.

Citation needed.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Unfortunately that would be me.

The story was in the local paper, and then the barrage of advertising.

Don't believe it if you want. I just make shit like this up all day. Back when it happened I did not even have internet access. Well over ten years ago.

Here is about the closest thing I can find at the moment :

"A pedestrian died on a Cleveland sidewalk in 1987 when he stepped onto an energized metal plate near a bus shelter. A transformer carrying power for lights in the shelter was faulty."

That sounds like about the right time. Why is it in an out of state news source ? Don't ask me.

But that only means that it happened. There is no way in hell I can get you the TV ads and full page newspaper ads that followed. If got any suggestions on how to find something like that I am all ears.

Reply to
jurb6006

Unfortunately that would be me.

The story was in the local paper, and then the barrage of advertising.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

If you know the dates, you could look for (and perhaps find and search) an on-line digital archive of the newpaper(s) in the area. Alternatively, a large library might still have a microfilm-based "morgue" archive of the newspapers.

Expect to spend lots of time looking - most such archives are probably going to be visual-only and haven't been OCR'ed and indexed as text.

Reply to
David Platt

Many companies make these. I have one.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"A pedestrian died on a Cleveland sidewalk in 1987 when he stepped onto an energized metal plate near a bus shelter. A transformer carrying power for lights in the shelter was faulty."

That sounds like about the right time. Why is it in an out of state news source ? Don't ask me.

But that only means that it happened.

Well that's where your logic totally fails.

You THINK it happened because you read it somewhere.

Jesus.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Yeah, and find a story on page 99Z because the electric company, which has a monopoly in most of the area, all the sudden thought it needed a multi-million dollar advertising budget, to advertise their exclusive product.

They are a monopoly in most of the county. All the sudden the are advertising like crazy. Just how much coverage do you think their screwup is going to get when they are now a major advertiser ?

I am surprised I could even get what I got.

Reply to
jurb6006

Crap, wasn't thinking...indeed I've seen those around. I think I'll pick up one, handy even if one isn't concerned about stray power in the street.

Thanks!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

This problem isn't new. I read about it several years ago.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

This problem isn't new. I read about it several years ago. "

This one's not worth the effort, Wills.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

"The term stray voltage describes a special case of voltage developed on th e grounded-neutral system of a farm and is defined as

Reply to
walter_evening

I just dropped by to mention something since the thread is still kinda aliv e.

Don't think just going home will save you from electrical shock. there are so many people who doi wiring in houses who don't know WTF they're doing th at I would GUESS that the chance of getting electrocuted at home is still m ore likely than out on the street. I did a bunch of remodeling over the yea rs and have seen the nightmares. I know hat I am doing and got my bona fide s frome the toughest electrical inspector in the area, dubbed "Ivan The Ter rible". COntractors feared him but he didn't bother me.

Thing is, these stray voltages, they can be more of an indication of the in frastructure getting old. They WERE instaled according to code. Designed to last how many years ? Maybe they have lasted all those years by now. Like an old car. If you got a 1967 Chevy that needs its first new set of ball jo ints, you got nothing to bitch about to Chevy.

In the Cleveland case I mentioned I suspect someting might have been done w rong and they might have been culpable. Like I said, instead of news after that happened we got all kinds of commercials form the power company on the TV.

But still, that does not prove them culpable. It proves them to havve a pub lic relations department. when thingss go wrong you deal with it either way .

I'd like to sue the asshole who used extension cord to hook up a new outlet in her bathroom. And then hooked it up backwards. That is worse than a reg ular outlet then, when it trips you no longer SHARE the current with the fa ult, you get it all.

The things I've seen in residential electric would puthair on your chest, c url it and take it off all in one fell swoop. And as some here can attest, I even thought the story about the phone ringing and the dog barking was a joke.

For real ? For real.

Reply to
jurb6006

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 1:03:28 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in sci.electronics.repair:

Yeah, I don't have much to do these days. Maybe play "Star Trek Online", I don't know.

Work, either.

I haven't done much of actual rough in, finishing, connection or disconnect. Just mostly bull crud, I guess. I still try to keep up. But, its mostly talk for me. Video games, etc. Just jive, mostly. Nothing serious (believe me).

Then again, I guess maybe they'd all say that when it came down to it.

Well, yeah. That's one thing I posted about. It (whatever happened) may not "technically" have been called a "stray voltage".

Yeah, ultimately that's car mechanics stuff though, not us electricians' (helper at least for me).

Decided by negotiations of their and the opposing side's and other side's lawyers - probably just a three minute phone call. (It would surprise you).

Yeah, strangely a bunch of "new" warnings, but no financial settlements. Strange for us peons, huh? Then again, I guess not. Then again, distribution isn't in this for free. Power companies are still in it for the buck.

Reply to
mogulah