Ahhh....What a day this was.

It all started 3 days ago when I tried to install some digital cable tv boxes myself. I didn't want to but the local cable operators are going to be shutting down all lower vhf channels on august 11 and I would loose my service without the digital tv boxes installed. So after trudging home with the boxes - which cost extra of course- I spent half a day setting them up and plugging arcane codes into them via the remote. Then they refused to initialize. Then the cable people called me and told me they were monitoring what I was doing on their cable line, and "How can we help you sir?" Well, at least they were polite. They tried activating the boxes from their end and also no joy. They set up an appointment for the installer to come out to my house today. Goody - another day wasted.

Turns out the various splitters sitting in the crawlspace under my house in the dirt for the last 40 years untouched were rotted almost completely away. Also all the RG-8 cable was bad as well (lots of spikes in the reflectance meter) and the guy had to rewire the entire house. He was a single guy trying to do a two man job, so I helped him run the new lines. What was supposed to be an hour job lasted almost 6 hours. But finally it was all done, and the good news was I wouldn't be charged for it. Sometimes it pays to help the help. Now I can watch reruns of I Love Lucy in 12 different languages... in digital HD no less. Yay.

Since there was a few hours of daylight left, I decided to go to COSTCO and return some Peaches being recalled for listeria infection, which I had been eating for the last week, but first I stopped off at a local burger joint for a greasy stack. I'm eating my burger when a spanish couple come in and sit next to me, a mom, dad, small boy and a baby. Dad immediately heads off for the loo and mom tries to get her kids seated in the chairs. Then when mom is bent over getting her baby out of the stroller, she has a minor clothing malfunction and her left tit falls out of her blouse. She is holding onto the baby so she can't do anything about it right away. Junior, who must be about 4, thinks its time for lunch and grabs onto the orio cookie and begins sucking, and she is trying to tell him noo... but he aint listening. Finally she gets the baby seated and yanks the nipple out of juniors mouth, and milk goes squirting 2 feet into the air. Mom quickly gets a napkin and wipes and puts away her boob, then cleans juniors face, who's smiling like a banshee, and then cleans up the table. She looks over at me and shrugs her shoulders, and I raise my cup of diet coke to her in a salute, with a smile. By the time dad gets out of the loo everything is back to normal and he never gets a clue from anyone as to the events that transpired while he was gone....

So, how was your day?

Reply to
greysky

Not as good as yours. ;)

Reply to
DTJ

So at this point I'm all ready to tell you about how the sable techs sold me a service protection plan (SPS) at $3.00 per month so that I could get my house rewired at no additional charge. That has been done. I'm not sure selling me the SPS wasn't a scam from the beginning. Two years previous they said my home was radiating RF, two techs spent a couple hours changing connectors and left satisfied my home was quiet. Now they show up saying my home is radiating and they need to rewire my whole house. They told if I signed up for an SPS it would be done at no charge. So I signed up. A month goes by no word from the cable company, couple more weeks and I called them, and they have no record that it needs rewiring. So I tell them "oh the techs were very concerned about my home radiating RF and it could cause an F-15 to crash by getting an HBO signal into it's system." (They did say that!) Finally I convinced her to set an appointment and the home was rewired, even had an extra wire run just in case I want to add another outlet. It is time for me to drop the SPS. I don't expect any problems with my fine rewiring job. Also the $3.00 SPS fee was increased to $5.00 the second month I had it. I just have to think it was a sales job to sign my up for an extra $5.00 per month for life, nope, I'm cancelling that today.

And then I spilled my coffee and realized this wasn't a cable company story! Very Funny. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

[...]

So, how was your day? ================================== I'm having my bathroom converted to a wet room and it is almost finished, the plumber is done, the electricians are done, the carpenter is done but the bloke doing the floor, last job, didn't show. I look around, the seat on the khazi is the old back plastic one so, enjoying the sunshine, I head out to B&Q (the British version of Lowe's or

chrome shelf I like and take that to the checkout as well. I present my over 60's Diamond Club card to get the 10% discount and I'm told it only works on Wednesdays. I'll go back next Wednesday. Next to B&Q is the Honourable Pilot, I sup a pint of ale and examine my Diamond Club card. Nowhere does it mention Wednesday only, all it does say is "subject to the terms and conditions...", whatever they are. Does anybody read the terms and conditions?

-- The Reverend Lord Androcles, Archbishop of Ballistic Light. (H. God Wilson thinks he's the God of Ballistic Light and can tell it what to do.)

Reply to
Lord Androcles

Lord Androcles prodded the keyboard

It's been only on a Wednesday for as long as I can remember ! At least

10 + years.
--
Best Regards:
                       Baron.