Help with simple circuit

Hi. Please take a look at this circuit here:

This is from a toy/ornament that connects to one node of a xmas light string and shows 4 mini lamps through some colored plastic lenses.

It measures about 11.2V AC at its inputs when connected. Furthermore, each of the 4 mini lamps seem to have a 2.35V DC drop across them. I just want to understand what those Zener Diodes do exactly? I don't have the codes of which type they are (maybe IN4148 switching diodes?). Can I assume that they are just there to lower the voltage that the lamps see by 1V or so? Finally, with a multi-meter how can I measure the current that this circuit is drawing?

Also, if I apply a 12V DC source to those AC labelled inputs, it seems that it is too much since the Zener diodes get really hot and I start smelling a slight bit of smoke smell. Why is that?

And finally, I want to do the following. I want to take say a 20V DC source and attach to this to make it work (without burning the lamps prematurely). Hence, I guess I should first get rid of the 4 bottom diode/bridge (IN4005 I believe). Then, can put a resistor in series (1/4 W or 1/2 W and where in this circuit) so that I can bring the 20V DC down to about say 8V DC to run this? I imagine that if I had how many AMPS the circuit draws, I can then use OHMs lamp to calculate the R value needed to lower the voltage for this.

Thanks for any input/education you more advanced electronic guys can provide to me.

Reply to
80s.arcade

There's no current limiting in that circuit if you hook it to a voltage source. My guess is that it relies on the series resistance in the rest of the string. You probably should measure the current through it while it's in its natural location, and use series resistance to limit it to that level or less, whatever else you do with it.

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

The zeners appear to be there to keep the remaining pair of lamps lit if a lamp burns out.

John

Reply to
JM

Why do you call them zener diodes?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
What function would they serve if they _weren\'t_ Zeners?
Reply to