O.T. Harddrive Partitions?

Win98SE works fine with 1Gbyte of RAM, which is more than enough for most applications. It will work with 2Gbytes of RAM if you are willing to put up with

*no* video driver support beyond 640 by 480 and 16 colors (you will have to do a minor system change in one of the editable files).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Can you elaborate on what if anything needs to be done ? I have heard that W98 may have some issues with > 512M. I could easily fit this PC with 768M but have put it off a bit on account of this. Using SE btw with all critical updates installed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

M$ is the liar concerning "issues" with >512Mbytes. Just plug in 1Mbyte and go; nothing more need be done - in fact that is exactly what i am using now and almost always use (never less). And i have not applied any updates, "critical" or otherwise, and have had no problems, so what was so "critical"?. If you want to try 2Gbytes, go ahead - nothing drastic will happen. I forget the exact "patch" in the setup, but it was well known even in the early daze of Win NT and Win2K, so should not be too difficult to find even now. As i vaguely remember it, one had to limit something to 1Gbyte. But a programmer had use of most of that 2Gbytes; just crappy video quality.

Rarely do i bring up my Win2K drive, and more rarely do i plug in another 2Gbytes (3Gbytes being the max the MB takes). But then again, Win2K and i suspect WinXP cannot use more than

2Gbytes anyway. To be more accurate, at least a program cannot use even 2Gbytes of that 3Gbytes; the syetem does "move up" and use some of that extra Gbyte, leaving almost 2Gbytes for a user.
Reply to
Robert Baer

W98

have

I'll do it later today. Thanks.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In article , Robert Baer wrote: [....]

Yes, and unfortunately, Stack Technology is out of business. When MS got caught and had to quickly rewrite "double space" they messed it up.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

On 29 Jul 2006 06:08:55 -0700, "Ancient_Hacker" Gave us:

The problems with wanting to retain a FAT drive. Yes... I have this issue with my 4 Gig primary at times.

When I add drives, however, I used to break them up thinking that a crash on a drive allocation table would only mess up that one partition, which while generally true, a power outage crash could cause bits to get sprayed across an entire physical device, so I use a single volume now for a data drive. Backup is the key to data retention. :-]

Now that Linux writes NTFS properly... I can soon kiss WindBlows goodbye... yet not actually do so.

Knoppix is fun to mess with too.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

M$ is a liar concerning most issues, however the >512Mb problem i've observed myself several times. It was so long ago now however, that I cant remember if this was a problem with win98 vanilla or win98SE

The problem is windows uses the memory below 1Mb (so called real mode memory) to store it's memory allocation table. The more memory in your machine, the larger this table gets, until you get to a point where the table is so big, there is no real mode memory left for other software that might need it... for example the graphics card, and 16-bit applications. Yes there are fixes to this, you can tell windows to ignore any memory above a certain limit, perhaps it's been fixed now but i'm beyond caring. From windows 2000 onwards, they moved the memory allocation map into extended memory (>1mb) so this was no longer an issue. Win2k (iirc) can handle up to 4Gb. XP on the other hand supports Physical Address Extension - which uses 36bits for the memory address bus instead of 32, and should support up to 64Gb of RAM.

Still, I suppose it's better than the windows 95 bug where it will crash on startup if the system is too fast for it.

All these stupid problems... this is why I use linux.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

I like using 3 or more partitions. c: = DOS 6.22 for troubleshooting Windows OS and Ghost sessions. This is a small partition (100MB to 1GB). d: = OS and program installs I use a 20GB partition. You may want more. e: = Data Large as possible.

It's handy to Ghost your OS partition so when you get a nasty virus or part of the OS goes to hell due to a crappy program you just installed or random glitch, all you need to do is restore your OS/pgm install partition. I also prefer FAT32 on the OS partion so I can easily fix OS issues from DOS.

--
Mark
Reply to

Maybe you are correct on the "512K limit" for Win95 / Win98; all is fine with Win98SE using 1Gbytes with no changes, and 2Gbytes with the video problem and small change in some entry that i forget. As far as Win2K, it can "handle" 4Gbytes, but that much is totally useless and unuseable; the OS does "move up" (mostly) into the 3rd Gbyte leaving most of the "lower" 2Gbytes useable for a large program. Oh yes, M$ has this software to use up to 4Gbytes, but even they say it is a pig (speed mostly, but i would guess piggie in spave as well) and they will not support it and they beat around the bush concerning the useability as well.

Reply to
Robert Baer

has no

Advantages ... hrmm ... you can claim some imagined superiority over the chimp lusers who merely slap everything into one 250 GB partition named C: the way Bill intended when He layeth The Law. (on Linux you might use LVM

to ... slap everything on the same partition yet allow one to move/resize a crowded partition onto another disk. But why bother. Life is hard enuf already).

Disadvantages - you need to be aware of the directories you need to back up instead of assuming that you can get away with just backing up a partion.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

now has no

fear

temp

way.

anyway)

for

with

have

Depending on the exact definition of "works" ...

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

What's that then? microsoft exchange?

(j/k)

Reply to
Mark Fortune

I believe that i mentioned at least twice, that there is a problem with the video; no video driver will work; one is limited to the "default" 640 by 480 16 colors. If that is acceptable, then 2Gbytes works with no other observable problems (win98SE).

Reply to
Robert Baer

If interested, go to the horses backside (M$ website) and get the shit direct.

Reply to
Robert Baer

One of the reasons: Because they don't know how. But a backup on CD or DVD is not great. What would be great is 100% realtime backup on an external drive, with no need for knowing how/what to do - until a drive breaks. Then they need to know how to replace it, physically. The backup software would take over from there.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

No training needed.

Download in a few more years of Moore's law. Other methods like NTRU have not yet gained credibility.

Q: Will quantum computers make all this crypto obsolete? Not in our lifetimes.

Reply to
Aristotle Eisenglas

most people can preform their current tasks with no swap by tripling their ram.

simply beacuse when a computer has more than two times it ram ram size in swap its performance is usually too slow to be bearable.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Once upon a time, software would install on any drive. It went by the wayside. Everything defaults to C: again. That is real shitware in a networked world.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

I have had 98se running with 1 GB of ram but it was unstable. Special setups are useful for > 128 MB.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Too bad MS dropped the "join" tool at Win95. It would have solved most of the problems with installing on other drive letters.