clone ext3 partitions to smaller disk

I need to clone EXT3 partions to new smaller hard disk.
I thought to create manually partition table (by fdisk) on my new disk with
correct partitions size, then I will copy every partition content by followed
command:

cp -dpPR <source> <destination>

or

find . -mount0 -print0 | cpio -0dump <destination>

I wish to use whole size of my new disk which will host the new resized
partitions.
I thought to reduce by Gparted partitions on original disk but it's very
difficult to get exact size which correspond to new disk size.

Suggestions ?

Re: clone ext3 partitions to smaller disk

create new partition

boot to rescue cd/dvd

mount partitions

rsync -var <old partition> <new partition>

install grub

Site Timeline