no magic smoke from this one

No smoke.

Dead, just the same.....

RL

Reply to
legg

Looks like Jurassic Park. Where are the tiny dinosaurs?

John

It's the blob from outer space that's gobbling up all the electronics on earth!

Other observations:

Why all the holes in the pcb?

Looks like there's a heavy conformal coating.

CD10? Is that a cap? If so, neato that the body is soldered down. I haven't seen that before.

Huh...Some visible flux.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

RF power amp; lots of ground vias.

High current RF stuff.

John

Yup. With Zin a fraction of an ohm and Zo a couple of ohms, milliohms in the ground return is wasted power, not to mention the goofy stuff that goes on trying to LC match an illusion.

Yup, but I'd have expected to see American Technical Ceramics (ATC) capacitors here. I didn't know Cornell-Dublier (sp?) was even around any more. You can see a 12 puff on one side and a 10 puff on the other side. From the width of the trace exiting the photo on the left, I'd say you were looking at the collector lead.

Strange device. I can't see any numbers past MRF9060, so if that is what this device is, it was meant for service up around a Gig, but the data sheet seems to indicate it was intended for SSB use as the two-tone intermod and PEP power are the parameters on the sheet. I'm not aware of any commercial SSB service up in that neck of the woods.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Was the ancestor of the modern pig Jurassic pork?

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Nice photo.

Who's FET power amplifier chip is that? It kinda looks like they used some kind of silicon(?) goo inside the chip to help protect the die and wire bonds. When the FET blew, the silicon goo expanded, blew the seal, and ooozed out. If you break the lid off the FET, you'll see more of the same inside.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Is pork Kosher when its a verb?

Reply to
ian field

The GaN power fets are wonderful, with input and output capacitances in the pF range and nearly zero Miller capacitance. Really easy to match, or better yet to run flat wideband, not matched at all.

John

They show up a lot in military electronics, still (with prices to match!); I doubt they're in many consumer gadgets any more.

You can see a 12 puff on one side and a 10 puff on the other side.

Reply to
Joel Koltner