No Linux? No problem. Just get AI to hallucinate it for you

No Linux? No problem. Just get AI to hallucinate it for you

Worries me more than a bit..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It should. Imagine an AI assigned to each of us. Tracking us. Monitoring our behaviour. Knowing what we buy. What advertising we see. What we post in forums, product reviews, and emails. And then using that information to manipulate us. An AI that chooses what advertising we see. An AI that chooses what news headlines we see. What entertainment were directed to. How much of advertising is about the product and how much just manipulation? Pulling the strings of self image, desires, weaknesses for gambling, etc. How much is news and entertainment pushing an agenda? What if an AI could direct us to the ones that are written the right way to manipulate us. Pulling our strings. Turning us into puppets. Stealing our souls. And Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc. can say, "It's all encrypted. No person ever sees it. It's completely private."

Of course, I'm too smart for it to work on me.

Reply to
Wanderer

"Degrave found that the simulation goes surprisingly deep."

The mistake is believing it's actually simulating anything, it isn't. There isn't any logically consistent virtual machine operating under the hood, so commands of sufficient complexity will surely produce nonsense eventually.

Reply to
bitrex

thankfully it has close to no ability to design circuits - try entering "Please show an ASCII schematic of an op amp circuit with a gain of 2 in the non-inverting configuration" - when I tried that it went into an infinite loop drawing pipes like mad, but it comes up with some interesting ideas:

Like I guess you could crudely represent how big a resistor was that way..

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Tue, 6 Dec 2022 08:33:26 -0500) it happened bitrex snipped-for-privacy@example.net wrote in <GwHjL.2561$ snipped-for-privacy@fx15.iad:

But is not that the same with us? ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

One way for it to fail the Turing test is to ask it a sequence of questions of escalating complexity and note that it never says "Jeez, I don't know" but will always make an attempt to sound "smart" and like it knows the answer, even if it's finally just rephrasing the question.

So yeah I guess it is like Usenet discussions in that respect..

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Tue, 6 Dec 2022 09:01:27 -0500) it happened bitrex snipped-for-privacy@example.net wrote in <XWHjL.61$ snipped-for-privacy@fx37.iad:

Interesting, Sure if it had drawn molecules or atoms and not just bars it makes a lot of sense,

But even 'pipes', at some level an analogy between the flow of electricity and the flow of water goes a long way.

I remember my electricity experiments and gaining understanding as a very small kid just that you needed 2 wires to connect a light bulb to a battery... like water flowing - circulating.

AI is still learning :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

We're to the Searle's Chinese Room arguments as to whether it actually learns or "understands" anything:

The biological naturalists would say that it understands nothing about circuits or electricity and has no ability to, while the functionalists would say if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

But it's still pretty far from quacking like an EE, much less a duck, so I think the question as to whether our own "consciousnesses" is just an emergent property of Markov-chaining lexicons together will be an open one for some time

Reply to
bitrex

My intuition is that the development of consciousness requires agency; a universe of some type to interact with in a meaningful way. Consciousness without agency sounds like a type of hell to me, perhaps there are physical firewalls against conscious minds constructing those kinds of hells for other conscious minds.

I hope there are, anyway.

Reply to
bitrex

Worries me more than a bit..

Oh? Is that why people keep reacting to entities like 'a a' and 'Fred Blogs'? I wonder how many bots keep this forum busy with inanities. I kill-filter over 90% these days.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Imagine if you could read your secret file and it said "Not worth the effort to manipulate."

I expect many Americans would be offended if that was the analysis.

Reply to
bitrex

On a sunny day (Tue, 6 Dec 2022 11:29:54 -0500) it happened bitrex snipped-for-privacy@example.net wrote in <66KjL.4343$ snipped-for-privacy@fx10.iad:

I have come to the belief that we (life) are just a simple self-assembly of elementary particles, like an electron starts orbiting a nucleus and molecules then form later and reactions start to happen between those molecules.. and there we are. All matter is 'conscious' in a way, moving an electron here a little bit later affects an electron at the other end of the universe, If a doctor test your eye-reflex to see if you are still conscious he is just testing a system with a sensor that can move something, like a sunshade with a light sensor that can close and open. If that sunshade system has a speech output module it can say: "Sunny, I will close." If the sensor signal or any other part of the system is going via some other module that interrupts it, then we would say "its not conscious anymore' Nothing mystical.. All is interacting.. ever more complex systems [life forms if you will] form. What goes goes...

Long ago a guy at work who did a study of philosophy let me read one of his books. Funny how you can go into reasoning in circles... 'I think so I exist' sort of stuff, not for me, He left, went to an other country IIRC.

Question remains of course 'what is that electron (and all other particles it is made of)' CERN will work on that ;-) But due to power cuts they cannot run full speed I've heard.

We are, after all, just like an ant creeping up a wall, not knowing why the wall is there, what it is made of, who was the architect and what his / its intentions are. mm you got a point!!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 06 Dec 2022 12:26:20) it happened snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com:

Musk is working on chip implants, those already exists from other companies, So 'they' (Big Brothel) will require every newborn to have a chip implanted that has some RF communication way and holds your credits, a killer serum (in case you violated some thing) and you non-contact pay with it of course, Maybe it generates a pain signal if you violate a traffic signal or something...

Yesterday I was, for the second time, watching a TV program about anti-satellite weapons (US space force etc), it showed how the first high altitude nuclear test killed satellites (Telstar to be specific),

So.. bit of EMP and all of society including those with chip-implants and all the AI is no more. Mice and rats remain ??

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 06 Dec 2022 19:24:51 +0100) it happened Jeroen Belleman snipped-for-privacy@nospam.please wrote in <tmo1dj$1s7u$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

I kill-filter over 90% these days.

Be careful, you may have killed the God particle.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

One organism that encouters this problem is botryllus schlosseri

whit3rd

People seem to have completely forgotten John Searle. Remarkable.

Reply to
Les Cargill