in

invested.

'let the

cities where

so.

such a

transportation

the other is

If you take off your shoes, you have to use 4 digits twice.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Where did you ever get the insane idea that 2/3 of LA is roads and parking?

LA has subways, light rail and buses, all of which are under utilized, and would be even more so if the 5,000,000 or so illegal aliens were to go home.

A big percentage of the traffic on Southern California roads is commercial traffic carrying goods.

Even if all the commuters went away, you would still need the roads for the trucks.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Which, of course, tells us that densely populated areas do not make sense.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

In article , Spehro Pefhany wrote: [...]

Bus systems never work because they have to operate on the same roads as the cars. They end up with a very bad average speed. You want your mass transit to go from where people are to where they want to be with few stops between. This makes it average faster than a car in traffic and attracts riders.

In the "silcon valley" they have put in a new light rail system. It is really just a very expensive over sized street car.

The route it runs was obviously designed by someone who didn't want the seats to get dirty. The obvious points for it to hit were the San Jose airport, the San Jose Conventian center and the Santa Clara Convention Center.

They only did 2 of the three. It does go between the two convention centers. It doesn't go to the airport. They are very nice and clean. Completely unsoiled by the masses of people who want to go to and from the airport.

There is also a stop for the "Great Mall". If you use it to go to the "Great Mall", bring your hiking boots. They ran it to the furthest edge of the parking lot instead of curving in to make it a short walk.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , Fred Bloggs wrote: [....]

Do you mean as in getting rid of it?

The free market would make the higher density as land prices increase. Planners won't allow it.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

There is a system like this prototyped for transit busses, where it makes sense. There only needs to be a charging station at each major stop, with the bus running off fast charge batteries (or a flywheel) for the couple of miles between stops.

According to an article in the May 24, 2003 _New Scientist_ magazine, they were going to do a trial in Boston in 2004. No firm name was mentioned, but it was developed by a transport consultant, Howard Ross.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

those

used up

Is there anything actually preventing ppl pumping from those wells ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hmmm...

In percentage terms over say a month, what percentage of your trips are to:

A: A convention center or amusement park. B: An airport C: Work D: Shopping

If mass transit could be built to it, which destination would get the most rides?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

In article , wrote: [....]

That isn't a good statistic to attempt to use in this case.

There are many many people that go to the convention center

These people going to the convention center are often coming from the airport

Work is scattered all over the place it isn't one place. The guy trimming the trees out in my back yard is "at work". I wouldn't suggest a transit line to those trees.

Note that I also mensioned the "Great Mall" stop in my posting.

Yes, and thats why I listed those locations. People want to go from one to the other. There is no point in having it go to places people want to go if it also doesn't connect to where they are. If you have to drive to the train station, you are likely to drive the whole way.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Mass transit is what politicians use to reward their contributors... they're commonly called contractors.

...Jim Thompson

those

used up

Assuming that they actually exist, that would be up to the lease owner. Attempts have been made to take unused leases (for all sorts of resources) back if they are not being used, but they have been fought off by the leaseholders.

Oil companies market valuations are dependent on their proven reserves (look at recent legal problems of companies that have misstated their reserves). In the interest of 'earnings management' some companies may want to hold back some reserves.

During the next two hours, the system will be going up and down several
times, often with lin~po_~{po ~poz~ppo\\~{ o n~po_~{o[po  ~y oodsou>#w4ko
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I recommend hybrid cars, regular or desiel in mixed traffic gives small car economy with big car feel (weight of batteries) . Hybrids are complex but we thrive on complexity thats what electronics makes possible. I try to convince that amortising the extra capital cost by selling a virtual fuel would please everybody. Energy can also be saved by combined heat and power but lets not have a rotating machine rather a single or pair of free pistons oscillating a magnetic field with the electronics to set up timing , fuel injection etc.and convert to DC and back to AC. Water of heat pipe cooling goes into the house central heating. Target real efficiency about 85%.

suspect that

Reply to
dougfgd

Cut endless stuff, cos I'm a leftist commie greenie weenie who thinks that the people of earth shouldn't shit on their own doorstep .

Fortunately communism doesnt work much better than any other form of corruption

When I first heard the that dreadfull phrase "shopping mall" in the UK, a couple of decades ago, I thought it was "shopping maul"

Still think I was right

Night alll

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Good thing this ain't a paper medium because you wouldn't even cut a frappin' tree!

I simply doesn't work! If you like communism, please do move to Cuba or perhaps China.

You may be horrified of such things, but consider tens of thousands of people driving to 400 stores every day.

Of course *you* do. Another few hundred million think you're another whining leftist loon europeon.

--
   Keith
Reply to

those

used up

Economics. The longer oil is above, say $50/bbl, the more of these wells _will_ reopen. The real problem isn't crude oil though. Government coudl fix a *lot* of the problems by relaxing and standardizing the formulation.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I didn't count cylinders. I counted sedans and smaller versus larger-than-sedands. But an SUV with a V6 still sucks gas.

--
"Don\'t try to teach a pig how to sing.  You\'ll waste your time and annoy
the pig."

Driving is the local hobby in LA. As one person I knew said it, he'd rather spend ten minutes looking for a parking spot than ten minutes walking.

--
"I fart for joy and I laugh more than if I had cast my old age, as a
serpent does its skin." -- Aristophanes, Peace, 421 BC

The present problem with US diesel is that the formulation is TOO relaxed.

Too much sulphur prevents all sorts of good technology from coming down.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

I thought the spec was supposed to be being tightened this year ? It should make diesel engined cars more viable in the US market.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

...and how many cars, even SUVs, are diesel? The problem with GAS is that there are too damned many standards.

--
  Keith
Reply to