Concertone ZX75 car audio system

A friend of mine has just bought himself, and imported here to the UK an American RV. It is fitted with a Concertone ZX75 car audio system.

There's one problem with the FM radio tuner, it only tunes in 200kHz steps, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5 etc.

In the UK we have stations every 100 kHz, for instance one station in our local area is on 98.2 MHz.

Is there any modification (grounding a pin on one of the chips for instance) that will make the tuner tune in 100 kHz steps ?

He has contacted Concertone's service dept, but they refuse to help, saying that it is for the US market only.

TIA

Reply to
Mark Carver

Without inside knowledge this is the only fudge I'm aware of, from my repair briefs

Sony MDX C150 car CD+tuner conversion from Japan to UK (+New Zealand) Made for Japan use and FM band set to 76MHz to 90MHz, UK is about 88 to 108 MHz Monitoring the VT line to the tuner varies from 1.52V to 4.2V from end to end of this band. 2 banks of 6 channels programmable in this 76 to 90 M range plus 3 more that come up annunciated as 1ch with a VT of 5.66V, 2ch of 6.83V and 3ch of 8.04 V which coincides with a local station on 107.8MHz, B+(for FM ) on the tuner is 8.3V. I changed the 7.2M crystal associated with the LC7216 PLL to a double PAL frequency crystal of 8.867238M and this brought the range up to almost ideal, a slightly lower frequency would be better. LCD reading of 80.0 gives a tuned in station on 96.1M and 89.5 on LCD gives a station at 107.8MHz.

7.2M is used on LC7218 FM circuits so probably fairly generally applicable. For anyone wanting to put an analogue tuning knob on a pot using regulated voltage of 8.3V at pin 8 of absent IC02 then VT of 8.04V gives 107.8MHz and 4.21V gives 89M Tuning voltage from LC7216 is pin 18 via FET ? Q2 marked G19

N_Cook

Any chance of popping off the lid and giving us a few chip numbers? internal photographs?

The large do everything chip is bound to have been used in other radio designs, and step options for those may be more forthcoming. Maybe even the PCB is used elsewhere.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Here you go

viQE&feat=3Ddirectlink

Reply to
RV Guy

Here you go ..

viQE&feat=3Ddirectlink

Reply to
RV Guy

Thanks.

Ah, should have seen it coming. These are the days of microcontroller programmed everything and there is a CPU hidden somewhere (other side of the PCB?) that sets up registers in the PLL. It's not bridging pins that does the magic anymore. If there isn't a hidden method to make the step switch changes(like some car radio models common between US/Euro have) then it's kind of outa luck me fears.

:-(

--
Adrian C
Reply to

I think the easiest thing to do is buy a European model that does the correct tuning.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Look here:-

and ask them about the PB1500 Band Expander.

"23. Can the PB1500 Band Expander receive both even and uneven Radio Station ? No you will only receive the Even Radio Band. the Band Expander shifts the whole radio band 0.01Mhz so that it can tune the radio stations that it could not previously receive. . . ..(top)

  1. Does the PB1500 alter the AM Radio Stations ? No unfortunately the AM is bypassed without change, it is to difficult to shift the 10Khz steppings into the 9Khz steppings. . . ..(top)"

Colin

Reply to
Colin Horsley

..

Good Job Adrian. Thanks for figuring that out. Much appreciated.

Reply to
RV Guy

THANK YOU COLIN!

I spent hours googling for something like this but came up with nothing.

I called them (the guy answered 2300 hrs local time!!) and the PB1500 seems to do exactly what I need. I have ordered 2 as a mate of mine has the same problem!

=A337 each with postage. Should save a bit buying 2 off.

I declare this problem solved!

Cheers all,

Ian.

Reply to
RV Guy

Comedy email of the day from Concertone Support:

We are of course interested in expending our business. The European market could be an interesting business opportunity. Due to the size of our corporation and the type of our business (OEM), in order to move forward with your proposal you will have to provide US $20,000.00 as a development cost so that our factory can develop a tuner solution according to the European frequency step standards. Regarding the production, you will have to commit to buy at least 100.000 Concertone units per year. If you feel confident with the above numbers please let us know so that we can move to the next step.

Regards, Concertone

Reply to
RV Guy