new type of "hybrid" car system?

It wasn't until GM bought it up and dismantled it

Australia has the same problem - people like a low population density, something like four houses to the acre, which scarcely supports a municipal sewer system. let alone mass transit. Huge car parks around suburban train stations are about the only practical solution.

You need about 20 dwellings per acre to support decent infra-structure.

I'm grateful that I don't have to live in Phoenix, Arizona, despite the concentration of world-famous psycholinguists.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen.
Reply to

invested.

The Soviet Union went under becuase it devoted 50% of its GNP to defence. Even if the central planning had been perfect, the Russian economy wasn't big enough or sufficinetly well developed to support that kind of expenditure, and the population simply got sick and tired of getting by on what was left over. They don't seem to be doing all that much better now - the introduction of the "free market" wasn't any kind of cure-all.

Modern western economies - the U.S. included - do a lot of central planning, and it works pretty well, mainly because these economies have built up a huge productive capacity.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Possible, yes. Feasible, no. What are you going to do here?

Spend $25,000,000 burying coils that need digging up when they burn out and ruin the countryside just for that tiny road?

Not in my back yard.

Androcles

Reply to
Hexenmeister

they

invested.

'let the

cities where

transportation

other is

New York, San Francisco, Los Angles, Washington, Boston Mass, London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Barcelona, Mexico City, Rome, Athens, New Delhi, Peking, Singapore, Melbourne Australia, Sydney Australia, Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro, Lyon, Tokyo

not on my digits it can't. Are you a millipede?

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

When I counted on Maryland roads, it was about 50% vans and SUVs.

--
"Very well, he replied, I allow you cow\'s dung in place of human
excrement; bake your bread on that." -- Ezekiel 4:15

That brings up another area in dire need of improvement and that is urban planning. There is such a thing as reasonably high quality high density housing. This nonsense about abandoning the inner cities and creating massive sprawl into the rural areas along with huge road networks to support it will eventually have to stop. The rural areas should be reserved for agriculture, parks, and wildlife refuge. We have plenty examples still extant from the 19th century, in some of our cities, demonstrating it is possible to create not only acceptable but beautiful urban lifestyles with better schools, libraries, utilities, and retail marts than anything they have been able to slap together in the recent rural sprawl factition "communities"- this is aside from what is now becoming recognized as a psychological benefit of living in a community that is a "place"- a place of cultural inheritance and institutions- a place with social, cultural, and historical continuity. I personally consider this to be a greater necessity than the air we breathe. You have none of this in the modern developments.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

And the taxpayers are subsidizing those developments with road, utility, education, and other infrastructure improvements, which cost massive amounts of money. Why do you think the real estate developers are so heavily involved in local politics? This whole thing is the biggest scam going. And this especially so when it seems that in most instances those developments are not populated by the local population, they are all outsiders looking to escape the hell hole they made someplace else. And they can't drive worth a sh_t either!

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

those

A couple of years ago, my brother an his wife made a non-stop (well, almost non-stop - they stopped when needed for food and fuel) Interstate-highway journey across the US from Vermont to California by driving in shifts. I asked him if they took any time to see the sights. "Just what we could see from the road," he replied. Pointing to his right, he added "That side is all trucks."

Reply to
Richard Henry
[snip]

ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

cities where

'London' and

'city'. If you

Here's a city[*] where the "mass" in mass transit doesn't work:

[*] "City" is a political entity, not a statement of size.
--
  Keith
Reply to

Ney York? Second Amendment?

--
  Keith
Reply to

[snip]

Not in AZ you don't. Except for apartments I don't know of anything in AZ exceeding about 8 to the acre... and we call that "starter" housing... until you've aged and improved your wealth enough to move up.

Fred, What hell-hole is it that you "live" in ?:-)

I'd hazard a guess that Arizonans are amongst the happiest people around.

Bill, If you moved to AZ, you'd open your leftist yap and get your head blown off in the first week ;-)

...Jim Thompson

those

used up

Didn't pay to pump it at $20/bbl. At $70 it does.

Burn the greenies and any other Democrats...

--
  Keith
Reply to

All of those vans and SUVs ere V8s? I *highly* doubt it. Did you count mini-vans as cars or "vans" (*NONE* of them are V8s)?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Just make the back wheels larger than the front. The car will then always be rolling down hill.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Which clearly tells us that it is really, really dumb to maintain the city as a useful economic entity.

The sooner it is flushed, the better.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

minimum.

If there are no roads to get people and supplies to the land, the land becomes worthless.

This, however, has nothing to do with your original statement, "If motorists had to pay their fair share...".

In the US, the users pay for ALL of it.

Yes, and not just fuel taxes.

There are a few exceptions on the national level, e.g. during the Depression a lot of stuff was built to provide jobs and stimulate the economy and during WWII lots of highway were built to support the war effort.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

So, you've been to "The Villages"? ;-)2. All of them are from somewhere else, and most have to drive golf carts because they have never driven a car before moving south.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

invested.

Oh for Christ's sake, that was one trolly line in the 40's.

It was replaced decades ago with a rail system which is still grossly under utilized in spite of the huge increase in population since the 40's.

the

Be grateful you have a government that allows you to live where you want to.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

they

in

invested.

'let the

cities where

so.

such a

transportation

the other is

typically ~

small

makes sense in

Exactly my point, so what are you arguing about?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to