new HP35

To do math without being in front of a computer.

I find calculators to be easier to use than a computer screen.

I write a PowerBasic program to do serious math.

I had a fairly horrible programmable-gain-amplifier design problem yesterday, the issue being to pick in-stock+available 0.05% resistors in a string to get the required gain settings within a software calibration headroom tolerance. I hacked the ideal values with a little algebra and used LT Spice DC analysis to evaluate the gains and CMRR with available resistor values.

John

No fractional arithmetic. Its binary mode is useless.

Reply to
krw

The key layout is far better. A screwdriver is often better tool choice than a hammer.

They're great for repetitive calculations, but no so much for a one-off. Though I use them all the time, a lot of engineering calculations are a PITA on a spreadsheet.

Reply to
krw

I even use resistors on boards. ;-)

I almost always have a pad of paper and a calculator sitting next to my keyboard.

Reply to
krw

It's because a calculator is faster and more convenient. You can move it around your desk, sit it on the datasheet or catalog you are working with, take it anywhere like the next cubicle, lab, meeting etc etc. And it always works when you need it, no modes, no boot or load time, and solar powered ones never run out of juice. Computer based calculators have none of these advantages, and similar with phone based calculators.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Fractions can be entered using the space key. Calculations will be done returning fractions where possible.

Agree about the binary modes. OTOH, the HP15C (not 16C) that I was replacing didn't have any binary modes at all.

Cheers, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Your point?

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

worth

Maybe not readily available in Aus. But IIRC my dad had an HP35 then an HP45 well before i graduated HS in 1970.

See:

16
Reply to
JosephKK

upwards of=20

perhaps not=20

was=20

power=20

calculator kicks=20

idle=20

nd-fpgas/ .

very=20

that used=20

quarters=20

I never found changing newsreaders to be that big of a issue. I have several installed and can (and occasionally do) use any of them. I prefer agent.

Reply to
JosephKK

instead=20

Please=20

Shame on you Jim, you could have found out he is using Thunderbird for the cost of one keystroke.

Reply to
JosephKK

however

email

newsgroup=20

=20

=20

=20

is=20

=20

=20

of=20

=20

Was there a big improvement in filtering capability in 6. Not that i have been really trying but that kind of discernment does not seem to be available in 5.

Reply to
JosephKK

on=20

I generally go for the local microbrew. Though some of the craft breweries are getting to national distribution.

Reply to
JosephKK

I've=20

=20

Two things, it is intractable in linux/wine and Agent is far better.

Reply to
JosephKK

going

You've got it, dumbhead protection techniques aren't worth the time and cost to implement them. And really effective ones either interfere with normal use way too much or piss away all the company money on hiring several brigades of IT soldiers.

Reply to
JosephKK

number=20

have=20

you=20

memories, etc.=20

display=20

of the=20

until=20

had to=20

memory (or=20

Ummm, no. The HP 45 introduced the programming mode.

Reply to
JosephKK

I knew what he was using. I was just stickin' it to 'im ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

I see no big differences from 5 to 6, 4 to 5 was the important filtering jump. I pay for upgrades... good programming needs its rewards... and they listen to my suggestions ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

OK, one "computation" mode. "Computation" vs. "programming" are so fundamentally different than I can forgive them for that, particularly when they were cranking these things out back in the '70s with very limited CPU and memory resources. :-)

The RPL machines (HP-28/38/48/50/etc.) arguably are completely unified (programs are objects just like numbers).

But that point was that even today Casio and Sharp machines have separate modes for matrix math, table creation, complex numbers, statistics, and regular old "number crunching." Typically programs or memories stored in one mode don't work (or aren't accessible) in the others.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Nope. The HP35 was announced in the summer of 1972 and the HP45 in

1973. I bought my HP45 in November of '73.
Reply to
krw

I meant binary fractional arithmetic is missing.

The binary functions are next to useless without binary fractions. I've only found one RPN calculator with a useful binary mode and that's a Palm app.

Reply to
krw