Would magn. pole reversal actually mess up electronic equipment?

Hi

this has perhaps been asked before(?)

Apologies in that case.

What I wanted to ask is, if earths magnetic pole now would manage to flip in a really quick timespan (let's say less than 5 minutes), would that have any effect on electronic equipment, and if so, why?

I mean I would think that the would not be any effect. After all, electronic equipment do not rely on earths magnetic field in some way. How would they?

Or would there be some effect on electronic equipment if the flip happened in less than 30 seconds?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
JJ

Nothing much would happen to electronics. However, in such a short timescale there may be some effect on large power grids.

--
Dirk

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well, you might need battery power. The atmosphere may shield partially, buy solar wind can destroy satellites. Don't know if GPS would work, but would certainly cause much grief.

greg

Reply to
GregS

On the night side you would see global aurora for a few minutes if the sun was suitably active. Most satellite electronics will survive all but the nastiest solar flares.

Gauss meters, hall probes and magnetic compass devices and the like would not be too happy. And all the shims for NMRs would need to be redone since the Earths field would be the opposite polarity and perhaps not at the same dip angle.

If you flip it fast enough then you could induce damaging currents in long conductors. That has happened in the past with te most powerful solar flare storms over Canada eg in 1989. See for example:

But unless the Earth's field had a similar rate of change to that experienced in an extreme magnetic storm I think most things would take it in their stride. Big continental power grids with long wires would be the most likely to drop out.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

On the older CRT scopes, you'd have to readjust the trace rotation.

Reply to
cassiope

It certainly would not do compasses much good.

--
Many thanks,

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Most probably not, but it would sure raise holy hell if you were flying from New York to San Francisco and you were over Iowa when it happened.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

All of the Boy Scouts would get hopelessly lost...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Penguins would appear at the North Pole and polar bears at the South.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Most of them use GPS receivers these days and wouldn't know how to use a compass in the first places. :-)

I think it's kinda cool that orienteering will probably survive indefinitely as a sport, though.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The only I can think about are the variosu HDTV CRT studio monitors that required different alignment depending on the hemishpere they were intended to be shipped.

The electricty network would no doubt crash, due to the DC saturation of transformer cores.

Currents flowing in natural gas pipelines could cause some significant havoc.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

If you take a piece of equipment and turn it around, or over, you reverse the field through it. Does that affect it ?

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Probably. I've moved monitors around in the office, and had to re-degauss them.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Short Staedtler shares?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Would magnetic north be in a different place ;)

Martin Riddle

Hey, geographic north and magnetic north would finally be correct (north is actually the South pole, that's why the North compass pole is attracted to it).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Based on magnetic fields frozen into old lava fields, during a magnetic pole flip, first the major poles get weaker and weaker and the subpoles (such as the South Atlantic Anomaly) become real poles.

During this period there might be four, six or even more local poles, so navigating with a magnetic compass would be a challenge, especially when these poles may move with a considerable speed, making paper maps obsolete quite quickly :-). During this period, Aurora Equatorialis might be observed, when the solar wind hits the atmosphere close to the local pole.

Finally, the flipped main poles get much stronger than the subpoles, so the minor poles are just magnetic anomalies.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

is

Excellent, I wanted to post this little factoid. I 'discovered' this when I was trying to use a compass match up sets of Helmholtz coils. Drove me 'nuts' for a day or so.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If you are alive during the next flip, it may be that the *least* of your worries may be the effect on electronic equipment.

The Earth's magnetic field acts like an invisible protective shield that "steers" the solar wind -- and the high energy particles contained therein -- around and away from the surface. During a reversal, the position and intensity of this "shield" will change.

It is possible that during this change, the Earth -- and the critters living on it -- may be subjected to anything from inconvenient levels of radition to life-threatening and/or mutation-inducing doses.

The reason that I bring this up is that there appears to be an uncomfortably close relationship between previous "flips" and hitherto-unexplained mass-extinctions and the subsequent emergance of entirely new species.

Everyone (except Al Gore) understands that correlation between events is not the same as causality. But there seem to be enough multiple-event correlation to suggest a causal relationship.

Sorry to mess up the holidays with this.

BTW, some folks think we are already overdue for the next flip. :-)

Bill Miller

Reply to
Bill Miller

Some folks say that even the current crop of phenomena point toward the even already beginning.

Wondering... perhaps... could it coincide with our solar system (and us) passing from one side of the galactic equator to the other?

Even the lunacy of folks like Gore, and the 'scientists' that gave him the peace prize might well be attributable to the approaching 'event' having an affect on some folks' minds.

If it is controlled by our position within the galaxy itself, we are essentially screwed. Nothing will be the same, regardless of whether you stereo actually works or not.

Reply to
The Great Attractor