new HP35

I just updated to version 6, released this past week.

Of course you'd probably do best with Outhouse Excuse ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

Your reader program can only filter on email domains and not newsgroup domains? That's strange, I haven't heard of any program that does this, or anyone filtering by email domain alone. Most people just filter out the google usenet domain if anything, in which case I won't get filtered out.

The huge advantage of using gmail for my newgroup (and other) email is that I get zero email spam. I used to use my old ISP email address on the newsgroups, but I got continually spammed. Gmail seems to know how to deal with it all. So no need for me to obfuscate my email address like many do on here.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I've never had that happen. Hell, I'll attach right now to demonstrate my MIME compliance...

Dang, Eternal September doesn't allow attachments on non-binary groups. Well at any rate, I've posted to ABSE plenty of times and never had any complaints. Soooo I don't see what you're objecting to.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Joerg persists at being inexperienced and defensive ;-)

"winmail.dat" CAN be annoying until you realize a simple plug-in handles it quite nicely in non-Wimpows E-mail clients (I've used Eudora forever). ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

bump

Reply to
ehsjr

Yeah, the TB plug-in for it worked about five times for me, for one sender. Then ... poof.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It can't :-(

I'll have to get to the ground of this. AFAIK (so far) you need some sort of proxy go-between that downloads all messages, looks at the full source and then weeds out the chaff (based on NG domain). Or a newsreader that does this but which probably also must download everything. That means tons of data transfer which can be cumbersome in hotels or airports where you are sharing WLAN with dozens of other and the kid next to you is watching Youtube in hi-def ;-)

Yeah, because Google seems to provide a good incoming filter but not to do a thing about spewing spam from their domain.

But they don't seem to know (or care) what gets sent from there. Most of the spam was sales of some dubious goods. It completely stopped after I blocked the domain but I know this isn't a great solution.

Thanks!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What is your name, "Joe Btfsplk" ?:-)

I use Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 for E-mail

I use Agent v6.00/32.1186

On WinXP Pro

No problems!

I even have those dumb-ass Microsoft ".ics" calendared events going straight to my calendar. ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

Newsproxy/NFilter is free... if you need to go that route. It's a bit cumbersome to update filtering when you use it. That's why I've gone with Agent and its ability to content-filter IF you do a little meddling with Macro Express or some other scripting gimmick... thus I only need to edit a "key" file to add or subtract "perps" ;-)

That's how I grab all messages from John L, John F, YOU and a few others, examine CONTENT for the presence of various obnoxia, then toss ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

As said before, I am not going to switch mail/newsreaders again. With that one biz contact that can't get their winmail.dat problem fixed at the source (it's very easy) because the IT folks won't do it I simply put an FTP site in place for them -> done.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

had

Atmel "IT" (what an oxymoron) blocks E-mail attachments that end in ".zip", but NOT ".piz" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

But in order for it to do the job doesn't it have to download everything, message body, lock, stock and barrel? That would be a pain when on the road, at least with busy newsgroups. You don't get 1Mbit/sec at an airport unless you are on the last flight out :-)

Seriously, when I was at Las Vegas airport a few weeks ago and had a Guinness at gate C1 the WLAN became real slow. Then I found out why: Two guys were simultaneously watching a ballgame on their laptops.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Only bodies for known "feeders" ;-)

I'm rarely out of town for more than a day. So it's rare that I take a laptop, unless I'm away for some substantial time, then I have a hotel for such "browsing".

I travel lite... cellphone, change of undies, jacket only when necessary ;-)

I hate traveling :-(

I use my cellphone for E-mail while traveling.... with forwarding control by Eudora filtering... so no spam at all in the cellphone. ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

True, the HP32 has funky complex number handling. The new HP35S does a better job, but the idiots at HP have never used a calculator and came up with a display system that sucks when you have lots of digits. The other bad thing with the HP32 series is the zebra connectors. After 10 or 15 years they become intermittent or stop working unless you tighten up the board retainers.

--
Mark
Reply to

You are correct. I just went back to my notebooks from that era. It was my SECOND tour of duty with that same company.

Needed better accuracy. My Pickett just wouldn't cut it.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Hey, if you can remember the '60s, you didn't experience them {;-)

OK, OK, it was the SECOND time I'd been hired by that company and by then it was a third of a month's pay. That was still a hell of a lot of money when you were still buying your first house for $8500.

OK?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

That's a ton of data to slosh around.

I have to take a 'puter but nowadays I usually take the netbook. 8h+ on one charge. I snapped a photo with its camera from said pub with me holding a Guinness and emailed it home right there :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

I was at a presentation by some Atmel guys a little over a year ago where they were demonstrating their C compiler/debugger for the AVR32 line of microcontrollers; the tools run on both Windows and Linux. One Atmel guy mentioned he had to get "special permission" from someone high up in management to be allowed to have a Linux machine plugged into their network, as the IT guys official policy was that only Windows machines were allowed on the network... even though the plans to provide tools for Linux machines had been well publicized throughout the company for quite some time. :-(

Reply to
Joel Koltner

had

Whoops. How do they password-protect emaiol attachments? Rename every time?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Huh? Text files?

I can do that from my cellphone (LG "the V"), though I'm not so inclined. I could do without the camera, but I like the full QWERTY keyboard and _real_ speakerphone capability... and typically a week-long battery life ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!