new HP35

I still have the HP25c bought at Sears NY in 1977 and still works flawlessly, even though I had to replace. the cells a couple of times over the years. Iirc, it cost me $187.00 at the time, when they cost around ukp 230 in the uk, a significant saving. Iirc, I spent the whole evening in the hotel room playing moon lander. A misspent youth ?.

Also, an HP16C programmer (1984), an HP29C from a boot sale and an original HP35 with psu, all still working fine.

Couldn't really justify buying any more. They never wear out :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

My HP16C, bought in 1984, only had it's silver button cells replaced in

2002. To be honest, it wasn't used every day, but the battery life is amazing...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

In a calculator? Ouch, ouch ...

I can't see David's posts since he is using Google. Personally, I think a pocket calculator that devours batteries is not very useful. This was the beauty of the old HPs, you could plop in three new coin cells and not worry about a thing for the next 5-10 years.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

There's an article in the November 2009 Circuit Cellar Ink about how to reprogram the new 20B ARM based unit. With the title "How to Repurpose a Development Platform", y'all might have missed it. Written by Cyrille de Brebisson at HP's Calculator Division in Boise, Idaho.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

It's actually worse... Dave pointed out my calculation was wrong (I was thinking "30mA" when it's really "30MHz at 0.5mA/MHz"), so power CPU power consumption is 45mW, and hence ~4% power is wasted.

But note that this waste of 4% of the power is only when the calculator kicks into "turbo mode" to run a calcuation; when it's just sitting there idle waiting for keypresses, it's close to zero.

Here's his blog entry that discussed the problem initially:

.

He's definitely worth whitelisting!

The HP 50g is far worse, where some "engineer" took the HP 48 design that used

3 "AA" sells and a switching regulator and designed to save a couple quarters and went to 4 "AA" batteries and a linear regulator. :-(

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

.

I know, but I can't. Yeah, Jim will now say I should use Agent instead but I don't want to change newsreaders again.

I love the HP11C. It's all I really need and it was designed by the old crew that knew how to do very low power designs. I wish they would just take the old processor masks and do a few more runs, then sell an anniversary edition. I don't think it'll be a problem to extract $50-$100 for it from the wallets of people like me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]
[snip]

Whine! Whine! Whine! Whine!

Time for you to join the 21st Century. ...Jim Thompson

Wait, isn't Agent from the last century and kind of fading a bit? Please elucidate.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I always wanted one of those but could never afford it. Got a Sinclair Scientific instead.

Like all Sinclair stuff, good looking on the outside and shit inside.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

HP32S II would be a more useful calculator.

Reply to
qrk

I haven't posted used Google Groups for a long time. I do however use gmail for my usenet email address (which is valid). If you are filtering out posters because they use gmail for email then that's the wrong approach.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Oops, of course Joerg won't be able to read this because I'm being filtered for using gmail. If someone with a "real" email address can bump it so he can see it that would be appreciated! BTW, I post using Teranews, I'm not sure if that's "trendy" and acceptable enough this week?, or is that a spammer haven too?...

I could of course post using any of my other email addresses, but that would ruin my archive history, I've been posting using the same gmail address for over 5 years now. Can't lose that covered 3 highest poster position on aus.electronics now can I! :->

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

It's certainly better designed, but it's lacking in easy-to-use complex number handling.

I'm amazed that so many calculators today (Casio and Sharp come to mind) have fundamentally separate "modes" for complex number calculations, where you often lose out on the ability to use many scientific functions, memories, etc. I mean, how is it that these guys can write up all the code to, e.g., display "textbook style" formulae yet they can't implement the complex version of the transcendental functions?

HP "got it right" in that there's only ever "one mode" (well, at least until they had the switch-hitting RPN/algebra calculators), and the user just had to know to use "CPLX+", "CPLX-", etc. when they didn't yet have enough memory (or whatever) for full complex number support.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

"Bumped" for Joerg's benefit.

(Dave, I block all that stuff that Joerg does, _except_ I know how to use a white-list, which you are on ;-) ...Jim Thompson

         You can never be too prepared for the REPRESSION!

Bump!

Or at least use a newsreader with real features, like Outlook Express. I've got filters here that do a fine job. Try it some day, it works, despite what popular opinion might believe.

Tim

-- Deep Friar: a very philos>> Joerg wrote:

Reply to
Tim Williams

"David L. Jones" schrieb:

Hi Dave

I'm not a native speaker: am I nevertheless right when supposing that this answer is kind of bumping your post?

Thanks for your great eevblog - I'm always waiting anxiously for the next to come ;-)

Greetings from Germany

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Huh.. my Canon F-502 has a CPLX button, but it doesn't seem to do anything... I don't see an "i" button, and sqrt(-1) is still just as "E" as ever..

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Well, right now I don't have another option but hopefully I'll figure out something that works better. Problem is that google floods servers with spam and they seem unwilling to do anything about it. I wrote to them but they didn't even bother to answer.

I'll looks for something that filters only when messages actually comes from a google server and not filter it when it comes from teranews like your posts.

AFAICT the problem domain is only google. After I blocked that the spam volume immediately fell to close to zero. In fact, most days it is zero, in all newsgroups I follow.

Very understandable. Thought about a Guinness book entry? :-)

Thanks, Jim.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I have two emails - my "real" one, and snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, which I have configured to just delete everything. To make a real email from my spamdump, elide ard. ;-)

(if you don't know what "elide ard" means, I probably don't want to hear from you anyway.) ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks.

Only over my dead body. OE is one of the reasons why, for example, people often can't read each others attachments because of that dreaded winmail.dat problem.